On Top of the World | Teen Ink

On Top of the World

By Abbye17 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Abbye17 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

On Top of the World
Connelly Rose Barnes, a name that flowed so softly from any lips that spoke it and her name was just as ravishing as her looks.  She was beyond perfect.  There were no words that could compare to her beauty.  Her hair was long, brown, and always in perfect ringlets that shaped her face so elegantly.  She had eyes that were dark brown and they sparkled with joy.  She was so divine, any room she walked into seemed to light up with triumph.  People often described her as proper and compelling.  She wasn’t the type of girl who was into drugs or liquor but she was often spotted at parties that involved those things, mostly because of her friends.  How she became mine is still a mystery.  I’m you’re average kind of guy.  I was a 4.0 student in high school, but when college came I got caught up in the wrong crowd and constantly partied.  My perfect grade point average quickly dropped and I was barley passing.  We were complete opposites.
One night she showed up at Brad’s house, a friend of mine.  I didn’t notice her at first.  I was drunk and too caught up in my own sorrow and grief to pay attention.  I sat on the couch alone thinking of my past mistakes. And when I couldn’t bear to sit there any longer, I quickly pulled out a clear baggie from my pocket and emptied the white powder onto the coffee table in front of me.  My hand then rustled in my other pocket looking for my blade and dollar bill.  I made the powder into straight lines, one after another.  I rolled up my dollar bill and snorted them, line by line.  A routine I hadn’t grown tired of.  Then I laid back on the couch and observed my surroundings.  That’s when I noticed her.  She was leaning on a wall talking with her best friend, Erin.  I unintentionally stared at her.  My eyes were so fixated by her beauty. Not long after noticing her, I began to feel the high and I felt like I was on top of the world. I quickly trembled over to where she was and said hello.  We exchanged names and numbers there but I can’t seem to recall what we talked about.  I don’t even remember seeing her leave.  Waking up the next morning, my head throbbed of an excruciating headache.  I slowly sat up.  Did I really get her number I thought?  So I curiously rummaged through the contacts in my phone.  I got nervous when I got to the beginning of the C’s, but there she was.  Connelly Rose Barnes.  With a kissy face emoji right next to it.  Upon seeing her name, I smiled and my stomach tingled with butterflies.  I got the number of the most beautiful girl in town.  I clicked on her name and called her. 
Her voice was groggy. “Hello?” she said.
“H-H-hi. It’s Grayson.” I stammered.  “How are you doing?”
“I’m fine. How are you?” she said
“I am fine as well.”
“Well, I don’t mean to be rude, Grayson, But why are you calling me at six in the morning?”
Oh God.  How could I be such a nuisance?  I remember thinking to myself.  I didn’t even check to see what time it was.  My hands got sweaty and a burning sensation filled my body.  “I’m-I’m so sorry! I forgot to check the time before I called.  God I’m such an idiot.” I said to her.
“It’s okay.  I’m up now anyways. So really, what did you need?” she said sweetly.
“Well, I was just wondering if, you know, you wanted to go get some coffee or breakfast. My treat.”
There was an uncomfortable pause for a few seconds.
“Look, I’m not trying to get with you or anything like that.  It’s just I’ve seen you around and I really want to get to know you.” I said.
“Okay, sure.  I’ll meet you at there in an hour.”
So we had breakfast and talked for hours.  That day was the day I began falling in love with her.  I loved everything about her.  No one had ever made me feel this way.  We talked every day after that.  I bought her flowers and did all the nice things a guy should do for a girl.  It was hard, but I soon got her to fall for me too.  We were like that cliché love story couple and I found it kind of cute.  She was the popular, beautiful girl in town and me, well, I was the geek and drug addict she fell in love with.  I was a lucky guy.
As our feelings grew stronger, we began to hang out more.
About six months later, we became official.  I hardly fought with Connelly.  We went everywhere together.  I showed her off and did everything I could to make her smile.  Her happiness meant everything to me. 
We were at a party one night, sitting on the couch together, conversing with other people and I started to feen.  I whispered to Connelly that I needed to go for a minute and she already knew why. I kissed her cheek and before I could take a step she grabbed my hand and asked if she could come with me.  I agreed, thinking that she just didn’t want to be alone.  She hopped up and politely excused us from the conversation and we walked to the bathroom.   After creating the lines on the bathroom vanity, Connelly tapped my shoulder. 
“Would you mind if I tried..?” she asked.
I froze.  I wasn’t sure what to say.  I didn’t want her to end up like me.  One time wouldn’t hurt.  So I agreed.
So I taught her how to snort it up.  And she did, like she had done it a few times before.
Then it was my turn.  I pulled out my baggie again and crushed more up.  We walked out of the bathroom wiping our noses and sat back down on the couch.  A few minutes later she looked at me sharply with wide eyes.
“Are you okay? Are you feeling it?” I asked her.
“Yes, I think I am!  I just really want to talk and I want to move and I feel like I’m on top of the world Grayson! Can we please go for a walk or go do something?”
The words had stumbled out of her mouth like she had so much to say but couldn’t find the right words to express what she was feeling. 
I chuckled to myself.  I thought it was kind of funny seeing her like this.  But more than anything, it was cute.  “Of course we can.” 
So we went on a walk and I’m not sure what we talked about.  I couldn’t remember and neither could she.  That night, was the start of it all.
She couldn’t stop talking about that night and how fun it was.  I was glad she was happy.  I couldn’t ask for anything more. 
We started to go to parties more often.  She quickly developed a high tolerance, like me.  About every month or two we’d add another line, so we could feel the high.  It became our thing.  We’d go to parties and snort cocaine together.  I never really thought anything of it.  I wish I had because not only was I addicted, but I got Connelly Rose Barnes addicted.  I ruined her life.
A few years later we were sitting in my apartment, just us two.  I pulled out both my baggies and she grabbed her blade, and I grabbed mine.  I made out six lines for her, and eight lines for me.  Connelly sat next to me on the couch and we did our routine.  She then laid her head on me and closed her eyes.  I could feel her heart beating and nothing was more comforting than having her in my arms.  A few minutes later she sat up and grabbed her chest.  I tried to ask her if she was okay but then I began to feel a pain in mine too.  I couldn’t breathe.  My chest felt like it was contracting and I couldn’t move.  She grabbed my arm as she was going through the same thing. She couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t breathe, and then everything went dark.  The last thing I saw was her, suffering and the last thing she saw was me, suffering.  We had once felt like were on top of the world, and I was the reason we died.  She didn’t deserve to die.  She was so beautiful and had so much potential to do great things.  Me, I ruined the life of the one person I loved.  So I deserved to be where I am now, dead.