The Recruit | Teen Ink

The Recruit

By Gonzo23 BRONZE, Stockton, California
Gonzo23 BRONZE, Stockton, California

Eat,Sleep,Play, Soccer

“GOAAALLL!” said the announcer as Alex scores the goal.
“Yeeeeaaaaaa!” screamed Alex, excitedly celebrating. The other team kicks the ball and starts it from the middle. Seconds later the referee blows the final whistle.
“Woohooo!”Yelled the crowd.
“Alex?” asked Carlos.
“Yes?” said Alex responding to the Carlos. ”May I ask who you are?’
  “Yes you may, My name is Carlos Bennitez. . I work with a team named Real Madrid and we
want you to join.”
“Is this a joke?” said Alex.
“Nope” said Carlos calmly. Alex jumped with excitement while yelling things you didn’t know existed.
“We start in two days, okay?” said Carlos.
  “Okay!” said Alex.
Two days passed  and Alex was asleep. He heard a loud knock on the door.
“Well I wonder who that could be,” said Alex. It was 6 in the morning. He saw a man with dark glasses through the peeking hole on the door.
“Hello?” said Alex.
    “Yes, are you Alex?” asked the man at the door.
“Yes, why?” said Alex.
“Are you ready to go?” asked the man.

“Oh! I forgot, I’ll get my stuff really quick.” He ran to the garage and got his things. He locked the door and ran to the limo that was awaiting to pick him up. The door opened and there was a booming sound. He climbed in and saw that there was a party. He turned his head and saw the greatest players in the world.

“Welcome to the team” said Cristiano Ronaldo one of the best soccer players in the world. Alex sat down with his jaw on the floor, stunned. After about 30 seconds the pro’s started staring at him awkwardly.

“Umm….Are you ok?” said Gareth Bale another great soccer player. Alex started to stutter.
“Well yea…” still stuttering “I can’t believe that I’m here with you guys right now,” said Alex.

“Here” said Cristiano Ronaldo, while handing Alex a soccer shoe box.
Alex ripped the box open, it contained a pair of early released Superflys. He was so surprised. “Do I have the first pair?” Alex asked Cristiano. He nodded yes, but then took that back and said no he himself had the first pair. They both laughed and started to party.

When he woke up he looked around and saw that everybody was passed out on the floor. He looked out the tinted window. He saw a sign that said 10 miles to a stadium but couldn’t read what stadium it was. The driver opened the little window and peeked in. He chuckled and yelled
“Wake up! We are here!” Everyone groaned and moaned. The driver opened all six doors and a burst of chilly wind hit them. They all woke up and got out of the limo. Everybody walked different ways. Alex was confused and a man greeted him and led him to where he was going to stay for the night. They went into a fancy hotel and took the elevator up to the 9th floor and swiped his card. The door unlocked and he saw that the team was already in the room and popped champagne bottles all over him as if the party at night in the limo wasn’t enough to celebrate. There were banners everywhere that said “Welcome”.

The next morning after hard partying, was conditioning. He went to the stadium and saw the team in the locker room. They all went to a building and took their seats near weights and the weight lifting machines. An instructor comes and asks him if he has ever seen any of these machines. Alex shook his head. While the others did what they usually do, Alex was lost and a man came up to him.

“Alex, my name is Kimbo Slice, and I am your private trainer,” said Kimbo.
“Ok” said Alex.
“Well let’s get started,” said Kimbo.

They went to a room and checked his blood pressure, how much he could lift, how fast he could run, and for how long.
“Well, your blood pressure is good” said Kimbo.

“That’s good” said Alex while his hands were on his knees and gasping for air.
“We have to do one more test Alex. We want to see how fast you can react and how fast you can think under pressure. Ok Alex?” asked Kimbo. As they went outside the team was practicing and laughing while Gareth Bale did weird gestures.

The next couple days Alex was sitting in a huge ice tub right after practice. His trainer knew he was sore so he told him every day after practice to get into a tub filled with ice and water. The next week he started to practice with the team. He was the shortest of them all. Alex was only 5’5.
“Well what are we going to do today coach?” asked Alex.

“Well, Sprints, ball control…do you want me to say all of them?” he said sarcastically.
“No Sir.” Said Alex

“Everybody 30 laps around the field.”  yelled his coach. He looked around and saw how big the stadium was and started to jog. Everybody else was at a higher pace. When everybody was on their last lap he was at his 20th lap. He had 10 more laps to go. He sighed while his coach told him to hustle because he was way behind.
“God, please help me become the best of the best, I will do anything to become one of the youngest best players in the world.” Alex prayed while looking at the ceiling of his room. The next day he ran as fast as he could and was not as far behind as the other days. The whole week he was beginning to be faster. After years passed by he was 18. He was now eligible to play with the team.

While they were practicing during the scrimmage one of his teammates came and stepped on his ankle on purpose. He looked up and saw his teammate grin at him and walk away. The medics came and took him to the checkup room.

The doctors checked his ankle and it was swollen. They did an x-ray on his ankle and his ankle was fractured. They told him to rest it and it would take about 3 months to heal. He took a pair of crutches and left. The next day he went to practice and told his teammate Pepe.

“What’s your problem?” asked Alex.

“Look do you really want to know?” said Pepe.”You took my position and you made the coach lose confidence in me. He doesn’t put me in the games anymore so I figured I’d injure you.” said Pepe. “But…But why?” asked Alex. By the time he asked, Pepe was gone.

Alex got better over the 3 month s and started to practice, hard. He stepped on the field and played with the ball. He was better than ever. Pepe watched him practice and got jealous. He went over to him and tried to take the ball from Alex. Alex started to move the ball fast through Pepe’s feet and this frustrated Pepe. Alex humiliated Pepe. Pepe couldn’t get the ball from Alex, no matter how hard he tried. The coach saw this and was amazed. While Pepe was trying so hard to get the ball from Alex he broke his ankles; literally. The coach told Pepe to go to the locker room. Pepe couldn’t walk so he crawled to the locker room. The coach followed Pepe and a couple minutes later Pepe came out with his bags and gave the coach his jersey. The medics carried him back to the limo but it wasn’t for him. They dropped him on the curb to wave down a taxi, but a taxi never came. He stayed there waving for a taxi for hours. Then a taxi came and stopped, but it wasn’t equipped for disabled Pepe.
“Well Alex, it looks like you got another spot on the team. You should get changed.” said the coach.

“Ok” said Alex. Over the next couple years, he won trophies, MVP awards and Most Successful Player awards while playing for Real Madrid. His dream had finally come true, he was now one of the best players in the world.

.

My love for sports but mainly soccer inspired me.