Pieces | Teen Ink

Pieces

December 9, 2014
By Ariel Jones BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Ariel Jones BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Hello! Can anyone hear me!” Eddie’s screams echoed throughout the forest. He sighed and stared at the barren trees. The sun was setting and the temperature was dropping with it. He was stranded in the middle of nowhere

“How could ice skating on a pond result in me being stuck here?” His friends convinced him to go ice skating. They said it would take his mind off the breakup It’s been more than year since it happened- a year and three months to be exact- but he’s been a wreck ever since. The first three months were hell. He barely slept and lost his appetite. Some days he couldn’t even get out of bed. He was better now, but whenever someone mentioned the breakup he lost all control of his emotions and broke down every time. The only reason he went was he didn’t want his friends to worry about him.
Funny how they basically dragged me here and ditched me in the end.
He closed his eyes as the bitter wind blew. It was so cold and harsh that it cut through his clothes like knives and chilled to the bones.
I’m dreaming. This is all a bad dream. When he opened them he wasn’t surprised to see the snow covered ground of the forest, but it disappointed him nonetheless.
“A dream really? Isn’t that a bit cliche? How old are you? 19 or 9?” a voice asked and Eddie’s blood ran cold. He slowly took a step back and reached for a rock.
“Who are you? What do you want?” he tried yelling but his voice trembled.
“I’m an old friend. I just want to talk.” The voice giggled. Eddie readied himself to throw the rock to realize his arm was trembling.
“Look if you’re Reese I’m sorry I messed up your chance with Leslie last year,”
“Go back further. Think real hard.” The voice laughed again but the tone was dry and bitter. Then the wind blew so strongly that it swirled the snow and brought Eddie to his knees.
“Get up, Eddie. Don’t make this more complicated."  He slowly lifted his head to see a wisp of a girl with flawless peaches and cream skin tone, buttery blonde soft curls for hair, and high cheekbones. Even though her baby pink lips were pursed and her champagne colored eyes were cold as ice, she was stunning. Eddie tried to stand up but his body wouldn’t move. He didn’t know if he was frozen in place by the cold, terror, or a trance.
“Hello Eddie.” Her smile was cruel and it a shiver down his spine. He searched for anyone that could help or anyway he could escape. He didn't know this girl but she clearly knew him, and she wasn’t happy to see him.
“What are you?” He struggled to breathe as he stammered. His vision was blurry and his skin was hot. The last thing this girl wanted was to have a friendly conversation. He could see it in her eyes. He needed to get out of the forest before she did God knows what.
“What! Now you don’t even recognize me?” she spat and placed her hands on her slim hips. He stared long and hard at her as he tried to piece together his fuzzy memories.
I don’t know her. I would remember someone like her. But her voice does remind me of someone. Then his eyes widened in shock when the answer finally clicked.
“Faye.” He slowly stood up. His legs felt as heavy as lead and he was afraid he would fall back down.
“Ding ding. Give this man a prize,” Her voice dripped with sarcasm and resentment. She slowly circled him like a leopard going in for the kill. He could taste the bile in his mouth and felt his skin grow even hotter. He couldn't take his eyes off her even though he wished she would disappear.
“I thought you moved to New York,” He felt so dizzy he thought the trees were dancing. She finally stopped walking and ended up standing about 10 feet away from him.  She stared at him and seemed to never blink. Her dazzling eyes seemed to burn a hole in his skull.
“I did. And I by the way, I love the fact you remember our breakup more than me,” she hissed but Eddie detected a small sob in her voice.
“I didn’t even recognize you” Eddie took a small step forward. She scowled and took two large steps back.
“We were together since we’re 15! How could you not recognize me!”
“Can you blame me? Last time I saw you had short brown hair, throwing books and furniture, screaming at me we were over!” She rolled her eyes and he sighed. It was true that he didn't recognize her. Faye was always pretty but she wasn't the girl that was standing in front of him. When they first got together, Faye was pretty, funny, and ambitious. This girl was gorgeous, bitter, and out for blood.
“Why’d you go? You left without telling anyone?”
“Not true. I did tell people,” she said casually and he narrowed his eyes.
“But you didn’t tell me. ME! Your fucking boyfriend!" His words were rushed as he struggled to breathe. He was surprised to hear the pain and anger in his voice.
"Well you didn't act like my boyfriend when I caught you screwing Charlotte!" she fired back and he hung his head in shame.
She’s right. I still regret that. It was stupid of me to do such a thing. Faye and I were having another argument and I just..gave up. I was sick of all our fighting and heartache. Then I saw Charlotte and lost all control.
"Typical. This is why we broke up! You ruined us!" Her words pierced his heart. He glared at her and hoped she would shrink under his gaze. He screwed up their relationship but she was no angel. Every ounce of shame and sadness he felt before was replaced by rage and a thirst for revenge. She broke him and she left unscathed. He wanted nothing more than to break her.
"I wouldn't have even gone to Charlotte if you weren't so cold hearted!" He was surprised he could even shout because he felt so weak and drained. He wanted nothing more
"Don't you dare try to justify that" She moved closer to him, so close he could smell her jasmine and lily perfume. It sickened him. Not the scent but the memories it brought back.
"All you ever did was complain and criticize. I gave you everything! But you gave me nothing in return!"
"Bullshit! You could have talked to me! You chose to cheat! That was YOU!" She was standing right in front of him and pointed a manicured candy apple red fingernail at his chest. He moved his face towards her and hissed in her ear , "What I did was the lowest of the low. I admit it. I was definitely no Romeo but no you were Juliet, sweetheart." She howled like a wounded wild animal and pushed him back so hard that he landed in the snow. His clothes were damp and he was shivering, not from the cold but from anger.  He looked up to see Faye staring at him. She looked at him like he was an insect that needed to be squashed. But he saw  tears in her eyes and she was fighting to not let them fall. He struck a nerve. It made him happy and disgusted that he felt pleasure in her misery.
"I loved you. Why? I don't know but I did. And it sickens me that I fell for a sick and dirty cheater like you!"
"And I loved you. It comforts me to know you loved me. Because I always thought people love with their hearts."
"And what is that supposed to mean?"
"Because you have a black hole instead of a heart." He was shocked to hear the words come from his mouth. She was obviously shocked as well because her mouth fell open and tears streamed down her cheeks. Faye. Why'd I say that? It just slipped out. I'm damaged, Faye. Even though she put me through absolute hell, I shouldn't have said that. Because then I'll be the same as her. Bitter and full of spite. I want to be me again. The old me. Not an empty shell or this resentful monster.
"Why'd you come?" He whispered as he grabbed Faye's hands. They were warm and soft. Sadness washed over him. She really is a beauty. And this beauty destroyed me. She tried to pull away from him but he refused to let go.
"What?"
"Did you come to rub it in my face? Make me so ashamed and embarrassed that I melt into a puddle? Well guess what! I'm already a mess! You did that!” He gently wiped her away her tears. His heart was pounding. I miss her. I want her gone. I hate her. I still love her. Jesus Christ. I want peace. And that can't happen because of her. He didn't realize he was crying as well until Faye wiped one away with her thumb. He froze under her touch and broke into cold sweat. She smiled but it was strained and hollow. A ghost of her amazing smile. He remembered how her smile managed to cheer him up. He felt an ache in his chest and his instincts were telling him to run but he didn't move. He stayed and experienced every emotion and memory from their relationship.
“I’m sorry about Charlotte. I was sorry then. I'm sorry now. I've never stopped being sorry," he sobbed and she closed her eyes.
"I'm sorry too," she said and he looked at the sky. It was a dazzling mix pink, blue, and orange from the sunset and he tried to get lost in the colors.  I don’t know what to do. I’ve never been so confused and emotionally drained in my whole 19 years of living than now. She’s poison. Our whole relationship was toxic. But I was a wreck after it ended.
"What now?” her words brought him back to cruel reality.
“Why’d you come?”
“I came back to visit my parents. But I saw your car and footprints in the snow so I...” her voice trailed off after the last word.
She really is a hazard. During our relationship she watched me wither to nothing. And she’s doing it now. Somethings never change.
“We can’t get back together,” she said and he glared at her.
“No s***!” he said sarcastically. She blushed and looked at her feet. He turned away from her, hoping she would walk away and he could be finally alone. But he heard her footsteps come closer and felt her hand on his arm. He winced at the heat of her touch and tried to move away from her. She gripped his arm tighter and turned him so he was facing an open field.
“What is that?”
“A path. Follow it and it'll lead you to the road. You'll see a gas station, turn right,and you'll be back at your car. Hurry. Get out before nightfall,” she said briskly and walked away. Then she suddenly stopped in her tracks.
“Goodbye, Eddie,” she said without even bothering to turn around.
“Goodbye, Faye,” he said gently and watched her walk away until her figure was hidden by the trees. He started to walk but turned around. He expected to see Faye's footprints in the snow but there were none. His heart started pounding and he could hear the blood rushing in his ears. Was Faye even there?  He talked to her and touched her. He felt her warmth and smelled her perfume. It was like vanished into thin air but he saw her walk away. Unless it was all in his head. Whether or not Faye was physically there, this was now the second time Faye broke him. The first time he slowly and painfully put himself together. Now he wasn't so sure he could.