The note | Teen Ink

The note

By pfierbaugh BRONZE, Fayetteville, Georgia
pfierbaugh BRONZE, Fayetteville, Georgia

She looked out to the sea, wiped the tears that had run down her cheeks, closed the note in her hands and tossed in onto the sand to be washed up by the waves. It had been two years since the note had been written. He had written it for her before it all began; the late nights, the soft kisses, the feelings they both still have but don't acknowledge. Whenever they are together they could be themselves and just enjoy each other's presence. But unfortunately, there is 7 billion other people in this world to raise cain. Thanks to the "others", there was drama, rumors and most of all jealousy. The girls he had grown up with didn't want him being with someone who wasn't in their clique. They plotted a plan, that most definitely worked, and deceived him into falling back in love with his inconsiderate ex-girlfriend. She doesn't love him, but she loves seeing him try to win her over. It's all just a game for her. Even though all of the heartbreak and anger, she kept the note he had written. She had buried the note in the top drawer of her dresser, and covered it with old t-shirts while the plan went through. A year after she had stuffed it away, she was packing for the yearly beach retreat when she found it. She looked at it for a moment and then shoved it in her purse and headed down to the shore.
      With every crashing wave came memories of the past 2 years. Senior prom, their first kiss, and the time he held her for hours as she creied after her mom passed away. Before and other breakup memories could come, she turned around and walked back up to the condo. The hardest part was over and now all she had to do was get through the weekend with him; then they would be back on their seperate campus', in different states, trying to forget all the memories they shared.
         Back at the condo, everyone wa still asleep when she returned. She decided she wasn't going to sit around and let her mind run crazy trying to forget the feelings she feelings of the man sleeping upstairs. Since she was already up, she wanted to use her time to her advantage. It was the day of the surf competition and more than anything, she didn't want to embarress herself infront of the guy who still has her heart. She got dressed, grabbed a board and a swam out fifty yards. She sat up on my board and looked around at nothing but flat seas. As the low swells rocked her board, she saw it in the distance. "Da**it" she muttered under her breath as she swam over and picked up the soaked, now unreadable note. To try and get it out of here before anyone else came out to practice, she slightly unzipped her suit but before she could stuff it into the opening, her world was flipped upside down. Wave after wave crashed over her as she tried to breath in air. Soon the waves slowed, but so did her effort for air as her body gently fell onto the ocean floor and relaxed into the sand.