The Runaway | Teen Ink

The Runaway

November 18, 2014
By Scribbler16 BRONZE, Hartland, WI, Wisconsin
Scribbler16 BRONZE, Hartland, WI, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

I sit outside of the store and I open the wrapper of the candy bar I bought. I take a bite of it and think of the last hour I ran away, and came here…That’s it. Mmm...Sweet, sweet chocolate. I fold the wrapper over the rest and shove it into my pocket. I go inside the store to clean up. I walk into the ‘Family’ restroom and close the door. I step infront of the mirror and stare. I flatten my crazy hair with a sigh. I look at my blue eyes, and see them staring back.

I make my way through the store and walk out. Time to go somewhere! Yay, I have no idea where! I smile politely to a couple that passes me. I see a man with a dog heading towards me. When I pass, I hear the dog bark. I turn my head and smile to the man. I look up the street and see an officer in the traffic. What if my mom called the police?! I yell at myself. I turn into an alley and get off on another street. I search it, checking for the police officer. I see nothing, so I start walking again.
After about ten minutes I see a park. Maybe I can sleep there, I half ask myself. I turn into it and look around. A kids’ playset and a sandbox. Oh, a tree. I inspect the branches. Hmm… I go next to it and look up. I jump and grab onto the lowest branch. I struggle to get a grip, but I succeed. I climb up until I am hidden from sight. I get comfortable and sleep. When I wake up, it’s before dawn.
I climb down the tree’s thick branches. I look around. It’s too early for people to be out. I smile to myself as I walk. Hmm...Where should I go….. ? I hear car the rumble of a car’s engine. I turn my head and look at it. Old and rusty. I frown to myself. I turn my head and speed up. I hear it get closer. 
“Get over here!!!” I hear a man yell.
I almost break into a run. “Don’t you have anything better to do?!” I yell. He speeds up and I start to sprint.  I cross through a yard. I sigh.
“Crap.” I whisper to myself.  I stay low for about a half an hour.
I hear the engine rumble go next to my spot. I frown. I jump out from my spot and dash. He zooms at me, and I dodge.  I start to get tired and slow down. He’s gonna hit me!!, I scream in my mind.  I dodge again.  After a few dodges, he hits my back and I get launched forward. I roll onto my side. I hear the door of the car open . In a moment a man is in front of me. He kicks my stomach. The breath gets knocked out of me. I wince.
“You deserve this.” he says. 
“Hey!!” I hear a voice yell. I look in the direction it came from and see a girl with short brown hair. The man swears under his breath and quickly goes to his car. He drives off with the terrible smell of gas.
“Are you okay?!” says the girl who came to my rescue. She hesitates before she takes out her phone, worry on her face.
“Yeah, sure.” I say sarcastically, wincing. Why did he hit me?!
“What hurts?” she says as she dials 911. She explains the situation then says the location.
“My chest and my stomach.” I try to sit up, but the pain makes me wince and I lay back down.
“Why was that man chasing you?” 
“she frowns” 
“Smack talk.” I say, ashamed.  “Who are you?”
She smiles weakly. “
Krystal, you?” She fidgets a little.
I mumble, “JoJo” The ambulance pulls up.
“C...Can you come?” I hesitate before I finish the sentence. “You seem to care.” I hear the weakness in my voice.
“Yeah.” She smiles as the EMTs walk up to us.
The EMTs load me onto a stretcher and load me into the back. Krystal slides into the seat next to me. They put a mask on my mouth and nose, then my vision blurs and I fall asleep.
I wake up in a hospital bed. Krystal is in the seat next to me.
“What’s wrong with me?” I ask her. I notice that here is some pressure on my chest.
“You’re awake!!” she yells. “Oh, yeah. Uhm...you have two broken ribs, and that’s it.”  She looks happy, but sounds worried.
Oh, that’s why my chest feels tight…”Errh. That’s nice.” I put a stupid smile on my face. A doctor walks in.
“I need to ask some questions.” he says in his professional voice. He looks as if he’d rather be somewhere else.
Jerk! “Yep?” I say, hiding my disgust.
”How did this happen?” he asks. He frowns at his clipboard and scribbles something down.
Man, this guy is getting on my nerves. “A man in a car hit me.” I respond, noticing my tone of voice.
“Why did he hit you?”
The bomb exploded. “Why should I know?!” I say frustrated. A silence fills the room.
He stares at me for a moment before turning to Krystal. I make a face at him.
“How was she hit?” he says, ignoring me.
“Head on while she was running. She tumbled and rolled.”
He squints his eyes at the paper. “Thank you ladies, that’s all I need.” He walks out of the room.
I twist my face in disgust. “What am I supposed to do…” I mumble to myself.
“I dunno, draw maybe?” Krystal says.
“With what?” I say, sassily. She gets up.
“Be right back.” she says as she walks out of the room.
I just sit there, bored. She returns in five minutes with some paper and a pencil. She hands me a book to draw on and a piece of paper. She gives me a pencil and starts to doodle. I mutter a ‘Thanks’ before I start to draw my Original Creation, JoJo. She’s a pony with black hair and a red body, and two strong wings. I look over at Krystal’s paper and see another pony, but with wings and a horn.
“Nice drawing.” She looks up and looks at mine.
“I like your’s too.” she smiles. She inspects it for a moment.
Another doctor walks into the room. “JoJo, we need your mom’s number.” I frown, but tell him the number. He walks out of the room.
Krystal asks “Why were you out that early this morning?”
“Ran away.” I mutter. She frowns, but takes the hint in my voice that I don’t wanna talk about it.
My mom walks into the room. She looks at me then Krystal.
“Who is this?” she says. Krystal stands up.
“I’m Krystal. You must be JoJo’s mom.” she says politely. She holds out her hand. My mom grabs it.
“I am.” she smiles. “Are you the one who helped her with the man?” She nods. My mom smiles wide.
“Thank you.”
….ONE HOUR LATER….
My mom pulls into our driveway. She smiles at me as I get out. She helps me inside and takes me to my room. I lay down and doze off. Finally...A nice warm bed to sleep in.