selfish | Teen Ink

selfish

November 18, 2014
By amk20 BRONZE, Hartland Wi, Wisconsin
amk20 BRONZE, Hartland Wi, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     “Hey Aiden hows it going” I said, looking at him in the hospital bed. He looked very weak and his dark brown hair is covering his face. His dark brown eyes are drupy. 

    “Bad im in a lot of pain” he said, looking back at me.
    “So what did you do today’ I said. Looking at him
“I had physical therapy, x-rays, I ate, and I slept” he said to me.
    “Ok I have to go to my moms today” I said to him.
    “Ok see you later” he said to me when I was walking out the door
    “Bye” he said
    “Bye” I said under my breath.
“Dad I am starting to get sick of coming here all the time” I said
     “Allie how would you like it if you were in the hospital and Aiden said he didn't want to go and see you any more” my dad said
    “I didn’t say I don’t want to see him anymore, i'm saying I have better things to do than sit in the hospital” I said
    “you don't think we have better things to do too. I haven't been at work in weeks” he said
    “Well thats not my fault he is in the hospital and you have to be here for him” I
     said
    “we should all be here for him” he said
    “but you can't make me come here every day” I said
    “fine then don't come here tomorrow” he said
    “fine I won't” I said.
     My dad took me to my moms without saying a word. I couldn't stop thinking about it. when I got to my I started to feel selfish like I should be happy i'm not the one in the hospital and i'm not the one having x-rays every day. I tried getting my mind off of it, but nothing worked. I tried doing homework, but it wouldn't work, I tried going for a run, but it wouldn't work, I tried so many things but NOTHING WORKED! Its time to go to bed, I tried and tried and tried, but I couldn't go to bed. I FINALLY fell A sleep.
    ‘Allie time to get up” my mom said. I got up and when I did I actually forgot until I saw the picture of me and Aiden on my night stand.
    “Mom” I said
    “yeah” my mom said
    “ I feel selfish for not going to the hospital” I said
    “well then go back and say sorry” my mom said
    “ok then can you drop me off at the hospital after school I asked
    “yeah go get ready”my mom said. I zoomed up the stairs and when in the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and my hair. I ran into the kitchen, grabbed a pop tart,said bye to my mom and got my backpack.
     I saw the bus just a block away so I ran as fast as I can. I jumped on the bus.
     “hows Aiden is doing today (Aiden and I got to the same school so we go on the same bus)
     “good” I said with my teeth together. I THINK MY HEAD IS GOING TO BLOW OFF!! I walked down the aisle and sat my my best friend Megan. I was quieter than a mouse.
     When we got to school, I jumped off the bus and went to the front door and pushed it open. I walked to my locker to get my math stuff. When I was about to close my locker the popular group walked up to me
     “hey Allie, hows Aiden doing in the hospital” Katy said. I stood there for a second, then slammed my locker and zoomed to math class. I walked quietly to my seat.
     “Ok everyone sit down and correct your homework” Mrs Z said. Wait what we had homework! I was too busy thinking about Aiden that I didn't don’t it. The whole rest of the day I was quiet.
     Today I took the bus home when I got home, I walked into the front door.
“Abby are you ready to go”my mom said.
“not quit” I said.
“Ring,ring,ring” the phone went.
“Hello” my mom said
“Hi is this Shelly Mc.Flinkmen?” the doctor said.
“This is she. is everything ok” my mom said.
“Not quit, Aiden has a really high fever and we need you to come to the hospital as fast as you can” the doctor said
“Ok im on my way” my mom said pushing me out the door.
“mom whats going on” I said
“nothing, just Aiden has a high fever” mom said unlocking the car door.  We drove to the hospital, we were getting closer and closer. I was starting to get scared.
     We were there. I Walked to the front door of the hospital and went into the elevator. I waited till it got to the 16th floor. When I got there I quickly walked to his room. I knocked on the door. “knock,knock,knock”
I walked in and I saw my dad and Aiden. I felt so bad for not coming here. I walked in quickly my heart was beating out of my chest.
“Hey Aiden. Hows it going” asked
“fine” he said. my dad must of told him I didn't want to come here anymore, I can hear it in his voice.
      “ Aiden I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I know that was selfish of me to say that. I know that you're the one in the hospital not me. I know that I would be sad if someone said that to me”
     I said to him.
     “Its ok I forgive you. It must be boring coming here every day when you have better things to do” he said.
     ”Nothing is more important than visiting you in the hospital”.