Short Story of a kid named Bobby. | Teen Ink

Short Story of a kid named Bobby.

November 20, 2014
By Gilzz BRONZE, La Crescenta, California
Gilzz BRONZE, La Crescenta, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
One who stands for nothing, falls for anything ~ Malcom X


My life is pretty tough. Mentally, not physically. Thank god it is not physical. Mom and dad never get along. I am surprised they have gotten divorced. It is truly brutal, their fights that is. They go on and on about how the other is providing nothing for the family. It saddens me to have to listen to the screaming and name calling all throughout the night. I tremble for my own safety because on multiple occasions I have been pulled into these arguments. “Which side are you one?” they always ask me. I hate it because I love them both, I would hate to have to choose. My loving father and my protective mother. I just want the fighting to stop. Today I start school again. At a different highschool than before. I am used to it though because this is my fourth new school. “What a great life I have” I think to myself sarcastically. “Only going to get better right?” I question myself, even though I truly believe that it will never get better. I guess the sixteen years that I have grown up in this madness sculpted me into being, emotionless I guess is the word.

Walking through the old massive doors to find a huge hall filled with new faces. “Stay calm” I whisper to myself because I get very nervous. I look at my class list and see that I have History first period. I manage to make it to the classroom, nowhere near on time. Very embarrassed I rush to the closest empty seat and secure myself in there for the hour. The teacher tells us what the class is about and I am hardly listening because I did not get any sleep the night before. I heard something about being tardy but I don't remember. The bell rings and everyone shuffles out. I was on my way to second period when I saw this beautiful girl. Dark hair, blue-eyes, a very pale complexion, and her Star Wars backpack. She was wearing a Super Mario t-shirt with blue jeans. I nearly ran into the lockers looking at this goddess. I was head over heels attracted to her. After about thirty seconds of drooling I managed to make it to my next class, on time. Geometry this time. I didn't even catch most of the lesson because I couldn't get the thought of her out of my mind. I, as a matter of fact, love Star Wars and Super Mario.

A lonely snack passed and I was off to my next class. I now had graphic arts. This was the highlight of my day because the teacher made the class really interesting. No falling asleep in this class. After the fun class I went to my chemistry class. A pleasant surprise walked through the door about two minutes before the bell rung. There she was. My crush. On the first day of school. I thought “This is so ridiculous!” because it was. I didnt even know her. I just loved the way she carried herself about. About ten minutes into the class, our teacher told us the seating chart. I was overly joyed when I got placed right behind her. This was now my favorite class of the day. The class ended way too soon and I was to eat by myself again, all alone. Snapping back to reality, the day was almost over and I was to go back home to my two unstable parents. This made me realize that I could move before I could actually get to know this girl. I then realized that I am probably not the type of guy she would be into. Medium length hair, very skinny, acne filled faced guy. I was very discouraged. Fifth period passed with English and the day ended with P.E. I walked home with my earphones in and drowned all my sorrows into my music.

When I got home, I was horrified to see that my mom had written me a note. What could this note possibly say? I was too afraid to know the answer. I had to read it though. Slowly opening it felt like I was performing surgery. Carefully removing the letter from the package and reading it. It said, “Dear Bobby, I have had it with your father. That disgusting man can’t even do anything around this house,” My dad was a drunk, I respected him though because he always got his work done. To be honest I am actually on my father’s side most of the time because my mom is usually just that unreasonable. “I have gone to live with my parents in California. You are going to have to choose this time Bobby. I love you and I want you to come and live with me. I know things have been rough, but I promise that they will only get better if you choose me over your lousy drunk of a father. Think it through please my little boy. Love Mom.” I just lost it, I was in tears this time and I am infuriated that she would do this to me. She honestly only thinks about herself. I think I will be choosing to stay with my father. Just because of this selfish act on her part. I don’t even remember the last time she had a job around this house. She is always calling my dad a “lousy drunk” even though he does all of the money making around this house. I am staying with my dad. I basically just lost all my respect for my mother. It is totally in her personality to pull something like this. I could understand her point of view if my dad was a drunk and couldn’t keep a steady job. I mean he only drinks on the weekends. Is that really that bad?

Months past after the divorce. I believe that my mother hates me for choosing my dad over her. I don’t really care though because of how she just closed up shop and left. I will most likely never forgive her that. Even though the fighting has stopped. I still feel depressed. About my appearance and the void that my mom created when she left. My dad doesn’t understand me, no one does. I am left to fend for myself in my times of tough. School is going horrible. I only have one friend. His name is Joe. I would lose my mind without Joe. He keeps me sane most of the time. He knows everything about me and I know everything about him. Well at least I think I do. It is good enough for me. His life was pretty tough too. His father is a drunk too, but worse than mine. He has two sisters that he basically has to look after because his mom works two jobs. His dad also abuses him and his sisters. He usually takes the blows for them because he says that they do not deserve it. And they don’t. They are only 4 and 8. He is their guardian and I respect him in every way because of that. We met on the third day of school in my graphics design class and have grown best friends since then. I love this guy. Not in that way but you know what I mean.

The end of the year has come. Joe and I have made it through a tough year. I talked to that girl that I liked in the beginning of the year. And guess what… We are dating now. She is the girl of my dreams and I am very thankful because of it. I guess things are turning out better than I thought they would. I started talking to my mother again and my dad is doing great. Life is beginning to show its pretty side. I am no longer depressed because of my newly found love. My grades were also pretty good. I managed to have a 3.0 by the end of the year. Maybe life isn’t so bad after all. I guess I’ll just have to take it one step at a time. There maybe ups and downs, but i just have to stay strong and keep my head.


The author's comments:

I can kind of relate to this writing, in a way. My life is less sad though. I wanted readers to realize that pain is only temporary. It is not permanent and things will get better if you stay strong.