The Illest | Teen Ink

The Illest

By MikeLiberty GOLD, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
MikeLiberty GOLD, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

“You know what? What’s on my mind? Can you tell? Nah, of course not. There was someone at my school who could do that, but he was crazy. He wasn’t as crazy as my family, though. And the people who put me in this cell? Crazier than a square circle. Have you seen one of those? I can’t even see them in The State of the Sane.

“That’s what I call my home--real home--this dark cell’s not my home. I can get to sleep fast, you see. And, when I sleep, I’m in a place. Not one of those crazy dreams where nothing makes sense. No, no, no, no, please.
“And I do not sleep, either. Sleep is whatcha do when you’re tired, physically. You worked yourself to death, and now you need a breather. You ran outta breath, so you need a breather--makes sense? Well, when people and things and the way all of that works and why it or them do what they do starts to confuse me--which is often--I leave The State of the Insane. That’s this world. My consciousness leaves my body cause it’s sick of this ill place, and it goes to The State of the Sane.

“There, there is real logic.

“First thing is, I’m the only person their, cause I’m the only one with his head screwed on straight. Oh, maybe that’s it. God’s bored, so he constructs most of us with crazy imperfections. Well, I have the only noble goal in the world, world, world. Ah, so dramatic. That’s one of the crazy features I see. My goal is a perfect world.
“Shouldn’t everyone be pursuing that instead of just trying to get richer? It’s just go to work, go to work, go to work, go to work, go to work--Damn! For what! What exactly are you working for? Is it making anything better? It’s hardly even making you better. Sure, you got more cash, so you can get some cool s***, but you know whatcha lose? Your mind. I swear, they’re gonna rise and shine one day at five o’clock, and be all, ‘Wait a minute. I’m a slave.’ Well, not me.

“The things you can get in The State of the Sane, or Land of Perfection, is, well, whatever you want. You can quench the insatiable appetite for stuff you have cause you’re a person living in the 21st century, and you’re s***. Well, if you’re wise like me, you’ll come to realise that having everything makes you hate it all and not want a thing.

“The State of the Sane is now the American frontier. That place was beautiful before white peoplegot their, truth be told. With their ugly towns and settlements, they spread their insanity into the place.

“I just go wherever in the Land of Perfection. All life is in perfect sync. I just run straight up trees, and do flips from one to the other, all the while my green cloak flailing… it’s goddamn beautiful, okay? I do not interfere with nature in any way. I do not have any needs--all I do is soar from tree to tree.

“I thought I oughta tell people about this, and tell them what it’s taught me. I learned more there than anywhere in this world, I mean. I told my classmates first. They laughed. What was so funny? I had an answer--thee answer--to their problems, and they just laugh? Bah, idiots never did get anything. They can’t even answer a simple question like, ‘what does the number eight smell like?’ Think about that--it’s easy. When I brought it up in a paper for class, the idiot sent me to the counselor--you need counselling, damnit.

“I just scratch at the walls now. It sounds like a sweet song in comparison to what I used to get to hear. You know what that is? You’ve heard it too, I bet. I can feel hope on the other side of this wall, but what’s happening out there? How should I know? I got locked up for having a beautiful dream is all.

“If I got out there now, I know I could do things. Don’t you think so?” said he.

Whatever you want.