Out the Window | Teen Ink

Out the Window

By JLynn GOLD, Chuluota, Florida
JLynn GOLD, Chuluota, Florida

"The best way out is always through"- Robert Frost.

“I’ve got nothing. Absolutely nothing,” he said to himself. He rubbed cheeks, staring at the screen in front of him. His mind was blank, and it had been since he told her he had to go. That day nearly killed her emotionally. He looked out the window at the sun setting on the ocean.

“I should have brought her with me. She would have loved it here.” He shook his head, trying to focus. His gaze kept drifting out the window, his mind going to her. He could see her tanning on the sand. He stood, leaning out the window, closing his eyes. He could smell the salt from the warm air. He imagined what she would be doing if she were here. How excited and impatient she’d be to get in the water, even if he didn’t want to.

When he opened his eyes, he thought he was dreaming or that he had fallen out the window and hit his head on the concrete below. Though, four feet wouldn’t kill him, would it? He shook his head again, trying to refocus. He looked again. A smile on a tanned face, bright blue eyes looking right at him. She waved at him.

“I don’t believe this…” he muttered. He stepped out the window, walking toward the girl. He thought it was a joke, a dream, or a mirage.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, reaching out to touch her. She was real, very real. Her blond hair soft under his palm. She giggled.

“What else would I be doing here? You left without actually saying good bye to me.”

“I never wanted to. I was coming back, just not for a while.”

“Why couldn’t I come with you?”

“I didn’t think you would want to…”

“And why not? If you were coming back, I would have been fine.”

“What about your grandmother?”

He knew she had a sick grandmother. She was the only family her grandmother had, and the only one to care for the woman.

“She’ll be fine without me. I’m more concerned with yours. They seems concerned when I asked where you were.”

He sighed. He didn’t mention to his family he didn’t tell her goodbye. He didn’t want to. He didn’t want to hurt her.

“I’m sorry.”

“You should be,” she told him. She placed her hand on his cheek. He felt the warmth from her fingers, proving to him that she was truly in front of him.

“Thank you for coming.”

It is intentionally flash fiction. I intended to not give names to the characters, nor mention the families.