How Could She? | Teen Ink

How Could She?

I stood waiting in the line at the post office in a daze. Should I even send this to that lady? I hated her so much. This is my last time, after this I’m done. Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked back. I shook my head real quickly and turned back around. This can’t be real, it is not possible.

“So you just going to act like you don’t see me? I know you felt me tap you. ” She said. I could still hear the hate in her voice that had been there from the day we meet.

I tried to continue to ignore her but she continued to nag and pull on my jacket like a little kid. It took me back to that angry person I was when I left her 10 years ago. I couldn't believe she was doing this here but then again she never cared how she acted in public; she was always embarrassing me. Then suddenly I couldn’t take it no more.

“What do you want Shanice? What could you possibly want with me? I left you for a reason. I couldn’t stand you. You are a drunk and you ruined my life. I just couldn't take you any more I had to leave. I still care about you but I don’t love you anymore. You made that love go away a long time ago” I screamed at her now, feeling even more embarrassed for just doing that inside a post office.

“Please just go for a walk with me and we can talk about it. I’m sorry for everything I did to you. Please Jerome just give me a chance to explain. Just one more chance.” she begged as she tugged onto my jacket.

I pulled my arm from her and just stared at her again. Was it worth it to bring her back into my life? Was I ready for the chance to be hurt again? I just don’t know.

“Fine we can go for a walk to the park around the corner in silence and when we get there you will have 5 minutes to say what you have to say. Then I will decide on what I want to do. Let’s go.” I finally agreed. I guess I don't have to send this package now.

“Ok” she said and leaned in for a hug. I moved back so she couldn’t. I’m just not ready for all that yet.

We walked out the post office and to the park. We found a bench and sat down. She began to explain. “Well……”