The Pregnancy Test | Teen Ink

The Pregnancy Test

By kelseyh51271 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
kelseyh51271 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

Elizabeth Moore her husband Harry, and son Oliver have lived in Grantsville, Nevada for 10 years. They lived a fairly simple life. Elizabeth working as a secretary for the biggest business in that small town. Harry worked as the CEO for that company as well. They lived in a three bedroom two bathroom house, ranch style. They had one bedroom for Oliver to sleep in, on for him to play in and one for them to sleep in. They tried to give him as much love as possible to make him safe.

The catch is that when Oliver was born his parents names were Veronica and Josh Moore. These two people happen to be Harry’s brother and sister in law. Elizabeth wasn’t able to have children and they tried adopting but they would've had to wait 10 years to get a child. At the time that they got the bad news about adopting Harry’s sister in law announced that she was pregnant. That was when they started plotting.

Elizabeth had a history with the police having to do with stealing small items from drug stores and little things like that. Harry on the other hand was never involved with anything that went against the police so this would be his first time going below the law.  So they started planning.

Part one of the plan started out with Elizabeth staging a pregnancy. It would start with her telling people then going to maternity stores and stealing the fake baby bumps off the manikins. Half way through the pregnancy she would have a miscarriage.

Part two begins when she gets to the hospital. When it is time for Veronica to have her baby she would go to the hospital and be the first one there to help her go through the pain. And then when the nurse left her alone she would inject foreign medications to have her start to slowly die but have no traces of the medicine in her system.
Part three begins after Veronica dies. All of the medical staff will call Josh to the hospital to tell him the bad news. Harry would volunteer to bring him to the hospital because Elizabeth would already be there. On the way to the hospital Harry would bring the car to a stop and pull off to the side of the road. He would ask Josh to take out his phone and tell him to look for the directions to wrong hospital. As he would bring out the phone Harry would take it and leave him on the side of the road to find his way back to society.  Then Harry would get to the hospital and pose as Josh and get the child from the nursery and life would go on.

Four and a half months had passed and the plan was going smoothly. Elizabeth didn’t get caught for stealing the baby bumps. She also found that wearing baggy clothes is the easiest way to hide from the cameras and police. Harry on the other hand was nervous all the time about getting caught but he always put on a strong face when Elizabeth was around. He didn’t want her to think that he was weak and that he wouldn’t go through with it so he continued to be brave and continue with the act. Then the miscarriage happened. Everyone in the family was sad for Elizabeth and Harry and they were also “devastated”.

A couple months had past and Harry was even more nervous than he was before. He knew that if they got caught they would be in jail for years. On the other hand Elizabeth was even more excited than what she was in the beginning. She believed that she had a foolproof plan and anyone could execute it perfectly. Then there was a the problem.

Veronica was brought to the hospital because of an early birth of the child. So Elizabeth called Harry. “Harry theres a little problem.” “What! What happened?”. Elizabeth could hear the shaking in Harrys voice. “We need to start this plan early. Veronica called and shes delivering earlier than expected.”. Harry immediately hung up the phone. He grabbed his keys and ran to the car.

The car ride was only five minutes but it felt like a million. He called up Josh to tell him the news and Josh was scared and excited at the same time, the exact feelings that Harry had. “Dude im gonna be a dad in like 20 minutes and you're gonna be an uncle. How does it feel?”. Harry didn’t respond and just started crying. Josh laughed “Hey you're not the one who has to raise this child. I do how do you think I feel?”. Then they got to the hospital.

Elizabeth was already in the room with Veronica. “Thank you for coming here and supporting me through this but you really didn’t need to. My husbands gonna be here in a minute or two.”. “Dont worry about it! I wanna be here when my nephew is born so its all good.”. Josh and Harry walked into the room at that time. “Well I think we should leave you two alone with your new baby! Ooh so exciting! Bye guys!”.

When they got into the hallway Elizabeth immediately started talking. “Okay so we have to wait until Veronica falls asleep after the baby is born. Then we can start.”. Harry replied with “Honey what am i supposed to do with Josh. Were already here and its not like we can leave him here because he already knows which hospital.”. Elizabeth was speechless. What were they supposed to do with Josh now that he already knows which hospital there at. Then Elizabeth though of an idea. “Im pretty sure that they have new medications that can get rid of memory if you had a traumatic experience of some sort. Why dont we just give it to Josh saying its like an anti stress thing.” Harry replied, “Do you really think that will work?”. “Of course it will work.”.

Harry used to work at this hospital before he switched jobs to work at the big company. He knew where everything was and where to find scrubs all that sort of stuff. The first thing he did was go into the closet to find some nurse scrubs so when he went into the medication cabinet it wouldn't look like he was just in there stealing things. He got the scrubs on and was walking toward the medicine cabinet when suddenly someone yelled out, “Hey you what do you think you’re doing?”.

Harry instantly felt the sweat beads forming onto his palms. He turned around to see a big muscular police officer pointing at a person wearing a white gown that was running toward the exit. “That was close.” Harry thought to himself. He continued to the medicine cabinet and found the memory eraser pill. He got the bottle and brought it into the room where Josh was sitting. He brought him the pill and said, “The doctor told me to give this to you. Apparently it goes to all the future dads to take away the stress.”

And that was the end of Josh. Next was Veronica. Elizabeth went into the room to see Veronica asleep on the bed. She saw the IV inserted into her left arm and she saw the bag of insulin. She took out the foreign medication and inserted it into the bag of insulin. Now for the tricky part. Elizabeth had to quickly go into the hall to make sure Harry got the drivers licence from Joshs pocket. Then the news came in.

Harry took Joshs phone out of his pocket and answered. “Hello is this Josh Moore?”. “Yes it is, may I ask who is calling?”. Elizabeth was listening from a distance and was very proud of Harry for doing this. “What! Shes dead? Oh no!”, Harry cried. “Ill be there in three minutes!”. Harry slowly started walking towards the door to Veronica's room. He then quickly sprinted in. He acted as though he was out of breath and then started to cry. Elizabeth thought to herself “Im not sure if this is a real cry or not.”. He went in and talked out all the details with the doctor. “We arent quite sure why or how she died but we know that she is gone for good.”. Harry replied with, “You know i could sue you for this but I won’t because I have a piece her in my son. Now good day!”.

Harry walked toward the nursery to find Oliver. He scooped him out of his container and asked the nurse if he was permitted to leave. The nurse replied with, “Can I see some ID sir?” Harry pulled out Joshs ID and gave it to the nurse. She nodded gave him back the ID and continued on her way. Harry and Elizabeth left the hospital with their new son Oliver.

They continued a normal life and nothing seemed to get in there way and no one suspected anything. The plan worked out for the both of them and they attended Veronica and Joshs funerals without Oliver. Life went on and they were all happy and safe.