Sentimental and... | Teen Ink

Sentimental and...

By leodags97 BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania
leodags97 BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania

As his left cheek pressed against the wooden wall, the cowboy’s eyes crept to the side of the dusty window. What he saw was lucid, but what he heard was distinct. A young woman was screaming at the top of her lungs, only to be interrupted by gasps of breaths.
     “Help. Help. Someone please hel...”
     The cowboy began to slowly slide across the side of the building while simultaneously loading his M1873 Grey Calvary Revolver. He turned a corner to get to the door, but no one was there. He quickly glanced around once more, tucked his gun away, and proceeded inside to save the woman.
     “Ma’am. Where are you?”
     “Here, here, I am over he--”
     Her cries were interrupted by the man’s presence. He grabbed a pocket knife, and began cutting the rope that restrained her to the chair. Once he cut the last rope on her last leg, she fell towards him and hugged him.
     “Thank you so much. You saved my life. I don’t know what to do witho-- She was interrupted by a long slow kiss. A type of kiss that is sentimental and…
     “Alright, I think that’s enough for tonight Alfredo.”
     “Poppop, but please. I never get to see the kissing scene.”
     “No, not tonight Alfredo. Not tonight, but maybe tomorrow.”
     “Please, please, please, please.”
     “Sorry Alfredo, but not tonight. It’s too late, your mother will not be happy that I kept you up this late anyways. Get some rest.”
     “Oh, alright Poppop. But tomorrow, you better show me your best ol’ westie from start to finish.”
He chuckled as he replied jokingly, “Oh alright Alfredo. Tomorrow I will let you see all the kissing scenes.”
     “Oh boy, I better get to bed now. Good night Poppop.”
     The small Italiano boy ran upstairs. Although he was only eight years of age, Alfredo’s passion and love for films was extraordinary. He had watched hundreds, possibly even thousands of cinemas and he had explored dozens of different genres.
     His Poppop, or Toto illustrated why Alfredo loved film. Every Friday night, the night Alfredo’s parents went out, Toto would show Alfredo a new movie. From Charlie Chaplin to Woody Allen to Hitchcock and to all the famous filmmakers in between, Toto and Alfredo saw everything. But from all of the films they watched, they loved ol’ time Westerns the most.
     “You're a man after my stamp. Wish we'd have had you with us at Bull Run. We might not have run so fast.”
     “Poppop, can we watch the whole movie tonight?”
     “Alfredo, why you interrupting the movie? It is the best part of Winchester,” Toto yelled, slipping into his Italian accent.
     “Because Poppop, I want to see the kissing scene. You never show me the kissing scene. ”

“Alfredo, you need to understand something. Kissing is a sentimental aesthetic. It is a beauty, yet it is a delicacy.”
     “A beauty and delicacy?”
     “Si, it is something that is extremely special, yet deadly.”
Alfredo laughed. “Poppop, kissing is not deadly. You don’t die while kissing.”
     “Fine Alfredo. We will watch a kissing scene.”
     “From last night?”
     “No, absolutely not.”
     “Poppop please, please, please, please.”
     “Fine, run upstairs, grab the movie, and hurry down. I am going to cut some more firewood.”
     “Okay, thank you Poppop.”
     The boy quickly ran upstairs, found the film instantly and ran back down. He plugged in the VCR into the tape recorder and began to play the film. Alfredo noticed that his Poppop was still cutting wood for the fire, so he fast forwarded it to the kissing scene.
     “Ma’am. Where are you?”
     “Here, here, I am over he--”
     “Thank you so much. You saved my life. I don’t know what to do witho--" She was interrupted by a long slow kiss. A type of kiss that is sentimental and…boom! The long slow kiss was interrupted by a gunshot, and now the Cowboy laid cold and dead.