The New Girl | Teen Ink

The New Girl

October 17, 2014
By Saragrace3 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
Saragrace3 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I got out of my cherry red convertible with my girlfriends. I looked in the mirror to see if my blond curly hair and makeup were perfect. I smiled. They were, of course. My eyeliner and mascara made my green eyes stand out. We strutted down the sidewalk with me in the lead. I was the queen here. My group and I ruled this school. We were the "popular" group, and I loved it. Everyone knew who I was, and they knew not to mess with me. If you did, I would make your life miserable. I was the one and only, Ashton Hice. My best friend Livy, a olive toned girl with raven hair, was the gossip queen. She could get information on anybody. My friends looked up to me and did everything I told them to.  They didn't risk not listening to me. One thing people knew about me, was not to get on my bad side. They would regret it. I walked up to my boyfriend, Micah, and kissed him on the cheek.

“Hey babe,” he drawled in his low voice. I smiled. Micah was the hottest guy around. The most popular, and he was all mine. I snuggled up to him, but he seemed distracted. As I turned around, I saw her. I stopped cold. Fiery hair hung loose, framing a perfect face with sharp features. Electric blue eyes lit up the sky.
"Who is she?" I snapped at my friends."
“She's the new girl, Ash," replied Annabelle, a tall dark brunette. "Her name's Phoebe," Rory informed, a petite blond.

I studied her. Phoebe was a head turner. All the guys eyed her. She wore a short low cut blood red dress that showed off her long legs. It made her hair look like fire. Her dark eyelashes made her blue eyes pop. Hmm... Almost a pretty as me. I smirked. But not quite.


The morning blurred by and it was finally lunch time.  As my friends and I made our way to our table we all stopped and stared. Someone was sitting there. Of course, it was the new girl, Phoebe.


“Oh no she didn't!” I snarl under my breath. I stalked towards her. Nobody sits at our table. My friends followed me. When I got to our table, I stopped. I glared at her until she looked up.


“Um, can I help you?” Her voice sounded like chocolate.


“You’re Phoebe, right?” I asked forcing a smile, although what I really wanted to do was slap her in the face.
“Yeah.” She sounded weary and looked around. Heck yeah she looked nervous. Anybody would if Ashton Hice walked up to them and asked what their name was.


“Well, Phoebe, you’re sitting at our table!” Livy snarled. I shot her a warning glance but didn't tell her off. I was about to say the same thing. I nodded at Phoebe.


Something in her changed. Her eyes hardened, she sat up straight, and she lifted her chin.
“Well, that's too bad, because I’m sitting here.” She leered. My eyes widened and I froze.


“What, did you just tell me?!” I snarled. Nobody had ever snapped at me before.


“You heard me.” She smirked and went back to eating as if nothing had happened.


I just kept staring, in shock and anger. My lips curled and I turned to my wide-eyed glaring friends.


“Come on,” I barked, “let’s go!” Now I just wanted to get out of the cafeteria. It had grown silent. People were staring in shock and amazement. No one took our seat. And if they did, they surely didn't refuse to leave. One guy whistled. My friends followed me out. I was sure that we looked super ticked off. Well, we were.


“How dare she!” Annabelle spat.


“Don’t worry,” I snarled, “she’ll regret it soon enough.”


“Are you-”
“Yes,” I interrupted Rory.
“She’ll wish she never step foot in this school!” I promised, giggling darkly.


The author's comments:

I've watched the movie "Mean Girls," and I thought of it when we got the prompt, "The New Girl," in a language free write. It's kind of a  negative piece of work, but it's realistic. A group of mean girls and a new girl. There's always, "that group," in a school.