The Forbidden Isle Adventure | Teen Ink

The Forbidden Isle Adventure

September 29, 2014
By AJbeachocean BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
AJbeachocean BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Kevin___________________________
It has been exactly a year since my sister, Lyla and I ran away to the island Niihau in Hawaii. Most people call it the Forbidden Isle. I left because my dad and I had different points of views on things to say the least. My name is Kevin James. My birthday is in three days, I’ll be 15 years old. It’s my job to take care of my little sister. However, currently I am epically failing in protecting her. I hope she’s okay; I’m the only one who made it back to the safe house. The storm’s still coming, gusts of wind are blowing the palm trees all over the place, and it’s raining really hard.  We were just looking for coconuts on the beach when it came unexpectedly. I ran as fast as I could to make it back home to safety, but I was ignorant and only thought of myself. I hope she’s alright.
Lyla_____________________________
“Kevin!” I exclaimed while being swept away by a gust of wind. I had been out in this storm for at least an hour now. It’s so foggy, I can’t see anything. About a month ago, Kevin and I made a safe house just in case something like this happened. I suppose it’s no use if you can’t locate it during the rain and gale. There was a glass bottle that I had just stepped on. Inside there was a note with numbers that looked like coordinates to somewhere. I don’t have the kind of technology to find out where they lead to, so I decide to ignore it.  After about five minutes of waiting, the rain begins to slow down. I can see something behind a bush.
There’s a noise that sounds something like a person screaming in aggravation, I think it actually might be someone. “Kevin, is that you?” I ask the mysterious person. There was no answer. “Hello?” I decide to walk over to the person. “Who are you?” I ask the mysterious person.
“Umm, hi my names Kealie, I’m a news reporter. I came because of the storm. My radar had tracked it to this spot. It looks like it came alright,” the mysterious girl said. She looked like she was in her mid-twenties.
Tracking technology, those have GPSs right? “Would that technology you have be able to track down coordinates?” I asked.
“Yeah, I think it can, there’s a built in GPS,” Kealie responded, “Why?”
“Well, I found a bottle with these coordinates inside of it. I was wondering if you could help me find out where this place is located,” I told the girl.
“Why not? My plane won’t be here for a few hours, let’s go on an adventure!” She exclaimed.
Kevin___________________________
I should probably go look for Lyla. I wonder if she’s scared. I grabbed my flip flops and headed out the door. The mud was thicker than I remember, maybe it was my shoes. The trees had been damaged and the remnants of leaves were all over the ground.
Lyla_____________________________
Kealie had tracked down the area. It turns out that it was just next to the shore, only about a quarter mile away from the beach. How was I supposed to get that though? I had no scuba gear, no ship, I had nothing. “Do you want to go check it out?” she asks, “I brought scuba gear just in case I needed it on this trip, let me go fetch it.” Was she joking? No, she couldn’t have been. We were actually going!
“That sounds great to me!” I exclaimed. This was the first real search I would be going on since I got to this island. I was very excited. What if there was buried treasure? What if it was a coral reef? What if there was a city like Atlantis? What if, what if?
Kevin¬¬___________________________
It has been 30 minutes since I left the safe house. I am starving. There is a delicious fruit salad waiting for me at the house. No, I have to find Lyla don’t get distracted Kevin. “Whoa!” I slipped over a glass bottle. It looked like the one I had found a few months ago with the piece of paper in it, only now the paper was missing. Where had it gone? Never mind that, I am really hungry. Hunger’s a good excuse to stop looking for someone right?
Lyla_____________________________
The news reporter retuned with her scuba gear and gave me a pair of everything we needed, including a mask, diving suit, and other necessities. I took all of the items and went to the opposite side of trees to change into the diving suits. Zip, I got it on successfully, honestly, it was a bit big, but it will work.
“Let me help you get the oxygen onto your back,” Kealie said. I tightened the straps and before you could say “cruise” we were off and onto a little boat.
The water was actually a lot warmer than I thought it would be. We had been swimming for about five minutes before I saw something that looked like a cliff. There was a little wood stick like thing sticking up from it. I motioned over to Kealie so we could get a close look. It was a ship! One of those wood ones like you see in the movies. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Kealie was documenting it all on her waterproof camera. However, the oxygen tanks were getting low, so we decided to head on back to the boat.
“That was absolutely amazing!” exclaimed Kealie.
I replied with, “I know wasn’t it?”  She nodded. We headed back to the shore, and Kealie had already started reviewing her footage.
“My brother would have loved seeing that,” I told her.
“Oh yeah, I didn’t know you had a brother,” she responded.
“Yep I do, his name’s Kevin, want to meet him?” I asked.
“Sure, I have to go soon though,” Kealie said.
I told her, “Okay, follow me.” I lead her to the safe house where I assumed Kevin was sitting on his butt playing a board game or something.
Kevin___________________________
I heard a knock on the door, “Lyla is that you?” I opened the wooden plank that we called a door, and there were two people. “Who are you I asked?”
“My name’s Kealie, I’m a news reporter and your sister wanted me to meet you,” the woman said.
“Oh, okay, hello then,” I was so lost.
Thank goodness Lyla started talking to remove the awkwardness “Kevin! You wouldn’t believe what we just did! This morning after the storm I found a bottle with a piece of paper inside of it. They had coordinates. This was when I met Kealie and we went to the coordinates and found a shipwreck. Isn’t that awesome?”
“Wow that’s very neat Lyla,” I told her. After all, that was really cool. I wish I could have been there.
I could hear airplane engines in the distance, “I’ve got to dash, nice to meet you both and I’ll be back soon. Goodbye,” Kealie told us.
Epilogue (Kevin)______________
It has been two months since the girls found the shipwreck. Kealie visits us every other week and we have a blast. The Forbidden Isle is loads more fun when you have people other than your sister here to share it with.


The author's comments:

This was written by two people, me and a girl named Aleks.