The Village Flood | Teen Ink

The Village Flood

By NandiniK SILVER, Dalhousie, Other
NandiniK SILVER, Dalhousie, Other

The day seemed bright with no signs of clouds .I stepped out to have a look of the village and felt joyous. The Sarpanch 'Fittu ji' welcomed me and we discussed about the village. I had come there as a visitor and saw a village first time.

Rampal, the servant came screaming and admonished all of us of a flood as huge waves came flowing towards the village. I was surprised and jumped. All villagers started rushing towards the hill while I wanted to save my costly car. A man was busy in saving his goat. Others took out there belongings from the little huts. I then saw an unpleasant sight as an avaracious man took all his money and showed a surly behaviour towards his son. "Go bring my money. Run afterwrds, now go inside you lazy boy!",he said.

I rushed towards my car and soon realised that my key was lost. I thought to save my life anyways so I rushed towards the hill. I heard a loud voice from the street,"Rama help me, I am stuck in the mud. Come before I die." I had heard earlier that Rama was a brave man of the village who was filled with vim and zest. He rushed from behind to help the person. He was a simple man and seemed to be courageous and selfless man. He held the old man who was stuck on his back. The old man gave a strident cry with pain.

"Move towards the hill. You will be safe.",Rama said kindly. I ran up the hill and saw the village sinking. Some people were drowning and lay helpless. An old woman was bleeding and had deep wounds and tried to hold a piece of wood to bear the increasing flow of water. Her hand slipped suddenly and she well and died. It was a heart touching sight. Fittu ji touched his white beard for a while and then said,"If there are more people like Rama, this hell like flood would not take away so many lives. See the little children drowning and see the selfish people passing by. Why don't they help them instead of waiting for Rama."

I understood what these words meant. I had been so selfish in saving my costly car. What is the difference between me and the man who behaved rudely with his son for money then? I could have helped the old man stuck in the mud at that time. Lives can be saved. Help each other. The Kashmir flood tragedy has destroyed many lives. Let us not wait for a Rama to come and help them in real life.