Sunday This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The day is half gone by the time I’ve pried myself from between the couch cushions, eyes glazed from a second-rate police drama marathon, a hopelessly mangled rat’s nest protruding from the back of my head. Days like this used to be what I lived for. Days like this used to be an invitation to drag my entire bedspread down to the living-room sofa. Days like this meant “Tom and Jerry” and newspaper comics printed in color. Days like this meant eating popsicles until I felt ill. But then we got a new denim sofa, and Mom stopped buying the grape-flavored Tylenol that came in little chewable tablets, and cable television became a thing of the past.

It feels like something even bigger has changed.

The dormancy of my muscles makes them heavy, each ounce of potential sticking and hardening and weighing down on my bones like drying cement. The thick void made by this lack of motivation makes the air seem too dense to inhale, and anything I attempt to accomplish quickly ­becomes wasted energy. I find myself loathing the desolation of a lifeless room, where the phone only rings when some jerk is trying to auction off substandard timeshares in Aspen in exchange for a portion of my soul.

I swear can hear my pulse.

Having the house to myself is rare – almost unheard of: it’s basically an illusion. But of course when I least appreciate it, I find myself deserted. Mom, whose panic attacks come and go with the weather, decided this snowstorm was the perfect opportunity to get the holiday shopping done. Dad crawled up from his basement lair and made the executive decision to go back to the office to contaminate his coworkers with whatever infectious disease has had him hacking and wheezing for the past two weeks. My parents must sense a feeble frequency of self-pity emanating from my pitiful corpse, a vibe assuring them that no one could possibly want to come within a 25-foot radius of their spawn today and they can be safe leaving her alone with a spare set of house keys and a liquor cabinet.

But I can’t stay here.

I blink and I am at the coat closet, pulling on my parka. I yank the hood over my head and borrow whoever’s boots are sitting in the puddle by the front window. I even lock the door, because for some reason, I don’t think I’ll be coming back anytime soon.

ExpRESsY0uRselF said...
I love it! I'm pretty sure that at least once in their life, teenagers want to leave home, and run away. But we never have the guts to do it. LOVED THIS PIECE! If you have time, please check out, comment on, and rate my poems, The Girl Inside, Remembering Spring, and You Are the Lyrics In Me. Thanks! 8)

a.singlenote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm:
This is great!

parisnpink86 said...
I love it! :)

WordforWord said...
Wow I'm really interested and hope you continue this sometime.

LexiB said...
Oct. 24, 2010 at 10:06 am:

This is a really great piece. You should continue the story. Will you check out and comment on my work?

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
* applause *

Ebonykitty said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 2:18 am:

Completely amazing!

~ Ebony ~

Shelly-T said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:54 am:
This is really good!  It was very enjoyable!

Vanessa1420 said...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:18 pm:
Oh my gosh, this was like the best piece I've read in a long time. It was like an actual excerpt from a book, a glorious book where I adored the writing. KEEP IT UP!!!!!

Violets said...
May 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm:
Wow. thats all i can say.

thatclarinetgirl said...
Boy, I have had one of those days. Keep writting!

Toe_The_Line said...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 10:55 am:
Wow, this was great. I love the detail... especially the section about what Sunday used to mean. I can relate to this. Check out my work if you get the time.

montana said...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 10:28 am:
A very nice story of repitition. I live in Parker, co, too. I might know you. Will you please read my review,artwork and rate them. Thank you so much (in advance).

Wimerh said...
This story was interesting! I like how you build up the suspense for almost the entire story while the reader tries to figure out what will happen. I think the climax, the line " But I can't stay here" is clever because it doesn't give the reader to much information and it leaves them guessing. Also, I like how the last line of the poem is a "cliff-hanger" and the reader can use imagination to make the story what they think it will be. There are great descriptive d... (more »)

jcvit_house said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 5:00 pm:
I thought this was really good. i liked the use of details... i think though a slight decrease of details may help the story move a little faster... details hook you plots keep you!

jbradford96 said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 3:43 am:
I really enjoyed this. The details provided are easily relatable, yet there aren't an overwhelming number of them. I like how you insinuated growing up through the reference to the grape flavored Tylenol. The ending was nice because the reader can imagine a wide variety of continuations. Keep writing, you've got a gift for it.

Abigail_W said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 2:52 pm:
I remember reading this on TeenInk Raw a while ago and thinking, "Whoa, this has gotta get published." And here it is, published. I wish I could write like that. It just left me wanting to know more, where she went, and everything! great job and keep it up.

sallyloco said...
Jun. 20, 2009 at 3:47 am:
i loved it.

katiemiladie said...
Jun. 18, 2009 at 4:21 am:
It was good. However, down-grading is the name of the game. The story was great but I would have been more interested if there were less adjectives I would have been more intrigued. Now, I'm not saying to eliminate them from your story. Just use less and you've got a winner!

Andrew K. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 2:26 am:
Wow! At first I was hesitant but by the end I was totally absorbed. You have to keep writing!