Change part.2 | Teen Ink

Change part.2

By Shahirah BRONZE, Kuala Terengganu, Other
Shahirah BRONZE, Kuala Terengganu, Other

How do you get out of the labyrinth of suffering?

accidentally tripped and dropped her books. I can hear a few people sniggering at the back. But, in unison, three guys got up and two girls – who I believe are her best friends helped pick up her books. In return, she thanks them and gave a smile so sincere and bright. Who is this girl? I can’t help but, watch her every move – the way she talk, write and listen. During a two minute break, I notice how she listens to her friend. She listens to that girl as if she was the only person that can catch her attention – so inattentively which can cause anyone to feel special and heard.
After the lecture, I caught up to Ashton, I nodded in Anna’s direction.“Ashton, do you know who that chick is?” He eyes me in a way of saying that he is surprised that I don’t know this particular girl. “ Anna Iskandar, smartest person in the campus if not the whole world, loves to disappear to some remote place or island without warning and the nicest person you’ll ever meet.” Ashton replied in one breath. “How did you get to know her?” It was my turn to eye him suspiciously. “Well, she was in my Latin class last term. She helped and tutored me a few times and that’s how I got to know her.” “How come I’ve never seen her before?” I tried recalling having any class with her last term. Nope. “She’s 19 and you’re 20. Different classes, remember? Unless you’re freaking smart enough to skip to another level.” I was quite impressed.“Well, isn’t she something else.” Ashton raises his eyebrows. “You sound interested despite the fact that you know – she’s a Muslim?” “No, not interested, just curious in a way.” I replied in a hushed tone.
After Mom and Dad trusted me in having my own apartment, I went out and searched for a flatmate. Out of the blue, I stumbled upon Harry who was in same hockey team as me during high school. Coincidently, he also needed a place to stay since he was attending a college near the area of my apartment. Being a decent person, I offered my place. “Lucas, Lakers has a game this Saturday and I got tickets! Give me a high five!” Harry exclaimed while holding a tub of Ben and Jerry’s. “Nice.” I answered flatly and returning his high five. With tons of assignments and projects in my mind even though it’s the first day of university, hasn’t made my mood all exactly prefect. “Hey man, you seem to be in bad mood. Sorry for bothering.” Harry raises his hands defencelessly. “No worries, just a bit stressed with you know – college. Harry nodded and continued hogging the ice-cream while typing an essay. “What is it about?” I glance at his laptop screen. “Religion.” “Dude, just a thought but, what’s your opinion on Muslims?” I switched on the TV. Nothing interesting was on except soap operas and nature documentaries. “There is nothing wrong with them as long as they don’t hurt me and my family. I won’t hurt them, they are also humans regardless. I mean, why should you treat a person differently just because of their religion? And besides we should each other equally with respect. I don’t know, that’s my opinion.” I smiled. “That’s what I was thinking too.”
The longest day of my life begins tardily. I wake up late, shower for too long and end up having breakfast in the car. On my way to the lecture hall, I check to make sure I completed my essay. Not realising I bumped in to someone. “Oh God, I am so sorry.” I apologised. Books and papers scattered everywhere. I hurriedly pick up my papers and help gather the person’s books. “Thanks, and sorry I understand if someone as tall as you would miss me.” Still with my head lowered. “Yeah no problem, here -“ I stop in mid-sentence to face – Anna

Religion can't stop us from inlove with people we are destined to be with.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences