The RAIN | Teen Ink

The RAIN

By Roddur BRONZE, Dhaka, Other
Roddur BRONZE, Dhaka, Other

If 'nobody'; can get there.
I will be 'nobody'
I ain't stepping back.

I hate the rain.

People always say something like: rain washes away your grief.... it gives life and freshness to the surroundings... and whatever.

Trust me, the clouds do not look full of life. They are dull and grey, how is it supposed to give 'life' to the environment when it's acting like an eighty-year-old grandpa?

And don't get me going on the so-called 'refreshing' part of it. True, the cold water refreshes the mind, but that's only if it is like a smooth flow. Who wants needles of water poking your face, tickling you?

I look around. The weather was in contrast to my thoughts. What the hell am I doing here? Come to think of it... why am I here again? Dammit, can't remember.

After a long time contemplating, I realise my reason for standing here. Nothing: I am just procrastinating this final day of summer vacation. The sun rays were of August. They scorched on my skin, through the window, at least its better than soaking in the... why am I thinking of the rain so much?

Maybe I have nothing else better to think of. After all, school's gonna open tomorrow... and the results are gonna come out.

The results. This time, I gave it my all. So I would be DEVASTATED if I didn't make it to the top. The top is what I deserve, nothing less. Tomorrow's the big day.

I make my way to the dining room, hoping my tea would be ready and on the table. But then I remember, mom's not home. The time is 1.00 in the afternoon. I go into my room and switch on the computer. I open my browser and sit there without doing anything.

I have this weird habit of doing nothing. I am a real slacker. I hate hard work, but if I really get into something, I want positive results: which is a weird thing.

Yeah, yeah. You guys are now gonna get all saint-like and say something like: you don't deserve the top then.

But trust me, I ain't that lame of a joker saying that I didn't work hard this time, I gave my best (or some people would say worst).

Yeah... back to the narration. I am now looking that the clock which is edged in at the edge of the monitor. Okay... maybe I should pace up a bit.

Fast forward: tomorrow. I mean today (today tomorrow, damn it's getting confusing! I should shape up on this narration).

The time is the time I am timing myself to get on time to the new but indifferent class that I wasted my whole year on. Oh yeah, the time is 9.00 in the... I guess you are sane enough to know.

The time taken (I always time myself, weird habit) to reach school is on average 45 minutes.

But today. Today. Rain.... wait, wait, wait.... I got to tell you something very important regarding me. (I know I am being egoistic, but this a narration people). The thing is, I am horribly superstitious, no, no, not the superstitious, but more or less I read the signs.

You see, it is raining today, but during the exams, it didn't rain... not a single damn day.

Thus, I am now possessing a feeling of like, either I will ace, or I will face... (I don't want to think about it).

The atmosphere is heavy with moisture, the environment radiating perspective darkness... well, the typical setting you expect just before encountering a monster. The steps I take echoed painfully in my mind (not the ear, okay?)

Rain started to fall down in a drizzle. The drops making no sound on my umbrella. After I reach school, I take a glance at my watch, and soaking myself in my sluggish timing, I realize it took 55 minutes to get here.

This is it. The day. The moment. The time. I say to myself as I enter the classroom of dreaded and eager anticipation (oh, the paradox!) Time froze as I approach the desk. The desk shone glassily as my reflection slid across to reach the envelop.

The moment. The time, and... whatever I wrote in the last paragraph twisted and swirled into the paper I was holding. My heart somersaulted and did a 720 degree back flip, and I guess a ribcage twister... okay, okay, too much literature (I mean, this is a narrative, right?)

The top. I got the top. I want to go into the rain and drench myself to the bone and soak in 'all glory'. I didn't care, I worked hard, I ran down the stairs to reach it. The rain started to patter down, the sound was now music to my ears.

And for the first time in my life, I got rid of superstition (not the superstition)

And for the first time in my life, I don't know why, but I felt grateful to the RAIN.