Perspective | Teen Ink

Perspective

By chloe44 BRONZE, Clinton, New York
chloe44 BRONZE, Clinton, New York

"This planet does not need more successful people. This planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of all kinds." -Dalai Lama

There was a record playing. It was scratchy and good and I sat there and counted the words on my fingers. I wanted the amount of words to be even and I got mad if it wasn’t. The singer’s voice reminded me of summer and ice cream but also of snowflakes and I guess it just reminded me of all of the seasons at once and I think that’s better than just one season. There was a clock ticking, though. I got angry about it. More angry than if the number of words wasn’t even. I got angry because the clock ticking wasn’t part of the song and I didn’t want it there. I tried to move the clock far away but I couldn’t go that far because I didn’t want to stop listening to the seasons. I also heard people yelling outside. Not bad yelling. It was happy yelling, the kind you do when you see someone who’s been away for a while or when you win a really hard game. But it wasn’t part of the song either and I didn’t want it there. I couldn’t tell them to be quiet though because I didn’t want to stop listening to the seasons. So I just sat back down in my chair. I focused really hard on the scratchy record because it was good but I still heard the clock and I still heard the yelling. I thought it sounded bad but then suddenly it didn’t sound so bad. It was like it all fit together, like it was synchronized. I was surprised because I thought the happy yelling and ticking were annoying and I thought I didn’t want them but I guess sometimes the stuff you don’t want is always going to be there and I guess sometimes it’s really not that bad.