One Move | Teen Ink

One Move

By Rueboss SILVER, Vassar, Michigan
Rueboss SILVER, Vassar, Michigan

Sometimes all it takes is one move, to change someone. The move can be good or bad. It can be public or vague. It can intentional or accidental. It can be an act of bravery. But all it would take is one move. At least that was the case for me.

My name Raquelle Vonston. I'm about as normal as they come. I'm not special or especially athletic. I'm not a genius or a popular girl. I'm just basic. I go to a basic highschool called Mayville High. I have your basic popularity status. I'm single, but with no close friends. Sincerely, I'm okay with that. Basicly, all I'm trying to do is get the point across to you that I'm not special.

There was always this girl at school that caught my eye. Her name was Tani Makillski. She looked basic just like me. She had long legs and vaccant eyes. However, she was an outcast for the reason of having a single arm.

I don't really understand why my school has such a large issue of segregation. You're either looked upon or looked up to. In this case she was definetly looked down upon. She would walk the halls quietly, alone. She would be confronted and interrogated by bullies, as if she had something to hide. She would hang her head low at lunch in the corner of the cafeteria, acting as if everyone was her foe.

Everyday I would study her. She seemed like she wasn't cowering, yet holding back, as if waiting for the proper time to make her stand. And she did. On the sixth day of September, there was the town famous track meet, with its favored 400 meter dash. I decided to go, due to my love of studying people. You can learn alot about people by studying their movements, likes, and actions.

The time of the fancied 400 meter dash arrived. The runners took their place on the track. I noticed eveyone around was staring at the racers, shocked. I turned my head and took a look, and found that I too was shocked. Tani was there in full color. The starter raised his gun, and with a BANG! the kids began to run. Tani sprinted faster then all of her competeters. She was nearly halfway around befor the rest made it to the first turn. Just as she was about to finish in her glory, she losther footing and fell, flat on her face. The crowd burst out laughing. Tani ran away crying, didn't even finish the race.

I was apalled at her sheer speed. I didn't understand why nobody was talking about how fast she was. Instead everyone was just talking about her fall. It must of been humiliating for her.

I knew I had to bend her before she did someothing bad to herself. The next day of school, I looked for her. She was hiding in the shadow of everyone. I walked over to her. She wouldn't even look at me. I cleared my throat and said, "Hey."

She took a step back and turned her back to me. I frowned, but I will myself not to give up.

"Hey," I said again. She started to walk away.

"Hey, I just want to talk!" I said impatiently. She made no movement that showed that she was listening to anything that I had just said.

"Hey, I just want to be your friend." I was shocked at myself. It had just popped out. I was thinking it was to much, so I sighed and started to walk away.

"Really?" She said, in a voice so quiet I was worried I misheard her.

"Yes," I replied excitedly. I turned around quickly, smiling from ear to ear.

"Why," she ask, doubtfully. I didn't understand why she wasn't as happy as me.

"Because, I...I feel like we uh, you know... have stuff in common." I answered, sounding utterly confused.

And with those words, I met my best friend. For years and years we were inseperable. It was awesome. Now as college has seperated us, we remain in close contact, and see each other as often as we can. See how with just one move, you can completely change a person. I believe that I changed myself.