What I learned on the streets of Hope Ch.2 | Teen Ink

What I learned on the streets of Hope Ch.2

By MargaretNorman GOLD, Indianpoils, Indiana
MargaretNorman GOLD, Indianpoils, Indiana

I WILL BY FAITH EVEN WHEN I CAN NOT SEE BECAUSE THIS BROKEN ROAD PREPARES YOUR WILL FOR ME. - JEREMY CAMP

"FROM DUSK TILL DAWN BEWARE NIGHTS CALL, FOR NIGHTMARES RISE AS SHADOWS FALL."

Six Months Later

“No Angie, I’m tired of this. You need to get a better job and find somewhere to live…” She paused. “And that means some place other than my couch.”

Things had gone on like this for a while; me couchsurfing trying to find a better job, but without a car it wasn’t that easy. Kaye had finally reached her breaking point and was sick of it as I knew she eventually would.

“Listen, I’m on my way to an interview now; I’ll be back soon. Just one more month then I’ll be back on my feet again I promise.” I begged. It seemed like I did a lot of that,...begging. I seemed to be pretty good at it at times.
One Month Later

I walked as I always had. My head swam with different lines to recite to Kaye to let me stay another month because ‘Whoring yourself for drunks’ didn’t look so great on a resume. I passed my current place of work; ‘Macy’s art of pole and liquor’ when a big glossy hunk of metal caught my eye.

“Ya, ride?” I jumped at the voice and turned to see a young man with a blond buzz cut and a soft stubble. “No, I wish...she yours?” I asked. “Yeah, a beaut’ ain’t she?” He asked referring to the bike.
“Yeah, I wish I had one of those, but I’d end up killing myself,” I sighed. I gazed into his remarkable deep green eyes so bright and welcoming.

“Well I could give you some pointers if you’d like,” he offered.

“Uh,...no thank you that’s quite alright…i'm fine.” I stammered and wanted to kick myself for it and began to turn away.

“Oh, come on lil’ Darling?” He said grabbing my arm.

I looked down at his hand, heat rushing to my cheeks; the name had caught me off guard.

“Let me atleast buy you something to eat?” He pleaded.

As soon as I opened my mouth to object my stomach growled right on cue. “Fine…” I sighed. “Come on little Darlin” He said the name again leading me inside.
One Week later

“This is the brake up here and there’s another one behind your right leg, but for starters don’t use that one stick to the handbrake,” he told me as I sat on the bike.

“I’m not riding…” I struggled for the words to explain. “Just getting a feel for her.”

“Cheyenne” He corrected.

“What…?” I asked confused.

“Thats her name; Cheyenne.”

“Well...that’s a very nice name...it really does suit her.”
Cain had managed to coax me into his lessons, but I was too scared to start today. that wasnt the only thing he had coaxed me into for i was now staying at his place and I was falling in love with him.