All Powers Are In The Hands Of God | Teen Ink

All Powers Are In The Hands Of God

By AimenChaudhry GOLD, Lahore, Other
AimenChaudhry GOLD, Lahore, Other

Drewing in his breath with a long hiss, Doctor Khan said, ''I am sorry to tell you that you are suffering from cancer.'' A sudden chill ran up my back and I shakily rose to my feet. I squealed my eyes shut in an effort to prevent a burst of tears, then sniffed hard, took a big breath and left the clinic.

Eighteen years back, when I was still a toddler, my mother passed away. Since that day my father was all that I had. We were very close to each other and we loved each other in the most affectionate way. We shared every secret, every issue, and everything else that we possibly could.

I reached home and found that my father was, fortunately, asleep. I went straight to my room and started practicing what I had to tell my father. I decided that I'd not tell him the truth. ''Yeah daddy, I told you that everything will be alright. The doctor said that I am perfectly fine '', I started practicing. No doubt, it was the most restless night, I had ever spent.

The next morning, when I went down in the dining room my father was already there. He suddenly rose to his feet and spoke to me in a hastened tone, ''I am sorry Amy I slept before you came home, yesterday. How were the reports, sugar?''

I was not able to make any eye-contact with dad. Even though I had practiced it a thousand times but when the time came, I couldn't open my mouth. I started to tremble and was not able to utter a single word.
I know, that by then daddy had understood everything.
We couldn’t look at each other or speak a word for a long distance. Then we paused. Tears welled up in both our eyes, streaming down our cheeks. He pulled me close to him, hugging me as if he would never let me go. “I don’t want to lose you,” he sobbed.

For those nine hardest years of my life, my dad supported me, cheered me, boosted me. Those months of painful chemotherapy, and months of daily radiation, passed away and I didn't realize, how.

All powers are in the hands of none, but God. It was just 5 years back when I was told that I was free of cancer, that I had won the odds against me. The words were hard to believe. ''Is it possible? Do I dare to believe, only to sink later into depths of despair finding out the cancer has returned? When will I hear the cancer has returned? Tomorrow? A month from now? A year from now? Never? How do I know?'', were the questions rushing to my mind as I left the clinic, in April 2009.

Since my childhood, I used to think who the 'Super-Dad' was and I used to question about this to God every Father's Day. Maybe by putting me in this trial, He wanted to answer my question and make me realize that how lucky I - a daughter of a Super-Dad - was.

Today, I am a 35 years old lady living a cancer-free life with my only husband, with two of the most adorable boys (my sons), and with the memories of great time spent with the greatest father.