My Final Destination | Teen Ink

My Final Destination

By Jocospock SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
Jocospock SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

I didn’t fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong. –Benjamin Franklin

I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong… I stood high above the clouds on top of a mountain. It took months to climb, and I had an oxygen tank upon my posterior. The climb was exhilarating, but very exhausting. I originally started my journey with three other men, but alas; only two including me were victorious. I stood surrounded by snow in the warmest attire, and I felt terrible. I didn’t feel the sense of accomplishment that I thought I would. Just the feeling of failure and despair…

I felt the breeze as a helicopter came down and picked us up. I held on to dear life, but I was only half there, and half in thought. For years I felt lonely and useless. I thought maybe I needed adventure; some sort of excitement. The thought of going back home to my family—it’s trifling. As the helicopter soared through the sky, I peered out the window and smiled. This is where I want to be; up in the sky. I looked over to my best friend; he was asleep in the seat next to me, but all I noticed was the smile on his face.

Toby and I had been best friends for many, many years. He never approved of my husband; he always thought he was scum. I don’t entirely disagree, but I stuck by him anyways. I hated my life; it was too normal—too simple. I started to take off my layers, it was getting warmer, and we were not as far up as we once was. Toby woke up and started to do the same. Then when we were sitting relaxed, he smiled at me and said, “I love you.”

I just smiled back and said, “I love you too buddy.” Before I took out my book and started to read.

He sat up and glared at me with a serious expression. “Jones, I’m serious.”

Toby has always called me Jones for as long as I’ve known him. I always knew he had a little crush on me when we were kids, but when he married another woman who is now living it up in Thailand, I was hurt, and lost whatever tender feelings I had for him. But do you really ever lose those feelings? I always felt good when I’m with him, but I’m married. I looked up from my book and held up my left hand, flashing my wedding ring.

He frowned a little and sunk down into his seat.

“Toby, why’re you telling me this now when you know I’m married?” I asked.

“The way you always complain, I thought maybe…”

“You thought maybe what?” I asked again.

“I thought maybe we could finally be together like we always said we would.” He softly said as he grasped my hand. “You know how I’ve always felt, and I thought this a better time than any to say; I love you.”

I sat a little baffled as I gazed into his light blown eyes, and I saw his face move closer to mine, and just as we were inches away from kissing; a huge siren went off. Not even a minute later; the captain busted through the doors. “Aye, we gotta emergency young’ins, we’ve gotta move.”

On that note, Toby and I bolted up and ran towards the captain, but the helicopter started to shake. “What’s going on?” I yelped as I fell to the ground with a resounding thud.

“Jocelyn, are you okay?” Toby asked as he reached down for me to grab his hand, but the helicopter shook again resulting with Toby falling on top of me.

“The engine is failing, and we are plummeting with a nose dive.” The captain yelled as he rustled through the closet. He pulled out two bags. “It seems to me that ther is only two parachutes.

Toby and I exchanged looks before we looked back at the captain who had fled the helicopter.

“That bastard…” Toby mumbled under his breath.

I stood up and grabbed the parachute; it was one of those cheaply made ones that could only support one person. I held out the bag for Toby to take.

He looked at me funny and swatted the bag away. “You should take it; you have a family back home. I have nobody, and without my best friend—I would rather die.

I dropped the parachute and sat next to Toby. As the helicopter moved vigorously through the sky, I snuggled with Toby and quietly said, “Life may not be how we planned, but we were together until the day we died. Like we promised…way back when…

We held each other closer, and sat in silence as the helicopter eventually hit the ground and exploded. They couldn’t find any of our remains, but they did find our hands. They were interlocked with each other’s and we’re now spending eternity together in the sound of silence…