Once Upon a Northern City | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Northern City

April 14, 2014
By Kailey_H424 PLATINUM, Portland, Maine
Kailey_H424 PLATINUM, Portland, Maine
30 articles 27 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Treat others the way you want to be treated. (my mother)
I am, I am, I am (Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar)


Once upon a northern city, there lived a girl named Eliza. She was no prettier or smarter or better than the other students in her class, though she was pretty and smart. She lived her life with a smile on her face and was judged by those who lived with a frown. She was shy and bubbly and sensitive to harsh words. She loved to dance when no one was watching and sing when no one was listening and write stories that no one would read.

In the same town, miles away, there lived a boy named Zack. He was no more handsome than the students in his class, nor was he smarter or better. He was, still, handsome and smart. He lived his life with a smile on his face and was accepted by those who lived with a frown. He was outgoing and strange and unafraid to say anything. He liked to sing in front of crowds and dance in the hallway and make a scene for all to see.

One day, a boy named Zack met a girl named Eliza. They did not fall in love. They did not rule their small kingdom. They communicated through their scribes and eventually parted ways. Not many a day passed when one wasn’t on the other’s mind. Their paths did cross briefly, but only for one fleeting moment. And that moment was gone just as quickly as it had appeared.

Once upon a northern city, there lives a girl named Eliza.
In the same town, miles away, there lives a boy named Zack.


The author's comments:
Sometimes there aren't happy endings.