Around the World | Teen Ink

Around the World

By RaquelGaribay SILVER, Lewisville, Texas
RaquelGaribay SILVER, Lewisville, Texas

"Believe you can and you're half way there."-Theodore Roosevelt

The sky breathed blue and shone yellow as the man in the color-filled hot air balloon flew. These days, spring came and took over everywhere. Daisies, roses, and tulips filled the earth, dancing with the wind’s gentle caress. The man just kept flying on to unknown places, where he would meet unknown people. He would learn their stories and dance with them, and walk among them. So many people, so many places. Maybe if he knew people better he would know the world better.
The man, Scott only knew of travel. He breathed the fresh air, and stepped on the newly sprung grass and flowers as he landed. He knew not of where he was, only that he felt free like a monarch butterfly crawling out of his cocoon, new to the world and to himself.. He ran through the fields of the cherry blossom trees, and he touched the rough bark, feeling the texture on his calloused skin.
When he reached a tree, he talked to the tree’s bumpy, and rough trunk, whispering places and people to the tree. The world was his friend, and he had no home. “Why do we have to pay to live on the planet that we were born on?”
A reminiscing silence washed over him as he remembered Paris; the luminous,twinkling lights of the city as they smiled at him, and the flowing streets of Venice, as the small blue boats floated seamlessly below. He thought of all the people in particular, the ones he met and the ones that stared at him as they gave him puzzled looks, and the wise elders who gave him advice. But there was only one man who stuck out to him, like a sore thumb and not belonging to anyone.
The day started as any day would, with the birds singing and whispering words of freedom, and the sun shining above as if greeting the tiny people below. Scott made his usual trip on the land below to buy food, and he bought bread from a man. The man’s silver eyes spoke to him, and throughout the day Scott could not forget the man’s eyes, they invited him. After the shops closed, Scott went to visit the man at the bread stand, who cleaned up the stray crumbs of bread and swept the dirt.
Without looking up the man said, “I see you came back,” in an calm, expectant voice.
Scott, just stood there stunned at the man. “So are you going to ask me what you came here for?” the man went on.
“ I j-just want to ask, why do we have to pay for the planet we were born on?” Scott said unsure of what the silver-eyed man response would be.
“ Because most people are afraid of a world filled with uncertainty, afraid of the unknown.” the man said filling the silence.
Scott now pondered on this man’s words, as they circled his head and overtook every single thought. He realized that no one knows who they truly are, and that they are too afraid. Why be afraid when the world waits for you? Love can wait, the future can wait.You yourself, deserve your love and affection as much as anyone in the universe. People often submerge in the depths of the dark water, and drown in routine and work. Overcome by the fluttering wings of greed and selfishness, not learning from the world. Human beings are the most selfish of all ,even when someone dies you shed tears only because there are no more to provide you with whatever they had been for so long.
So the traveling man traveled, white fluffy clouds floated away, like a leaf in pond. He passes cities, and towns, and stopped at every one of them in hope of sharing his realization with other people who needed it as much as him. Peoples faces mix in his memory and he no longer sees one face or many faces, he sees the truth behind the world, and for what his home reveals. The world speaks to you all the time, yet no one hears the whispers. Nothing is permanent, so why make a home permanent? He thinks about his past life with his mother before he decided to leave.
Life seemed fixed, and inescapable, but life is quite the opposite. To escape was to travel, and he did just that. He no longer had to live by time’s rules, time only destroyed you, something made by humans to live a fixed life. He traveled far away across the peaks of snow on mountain tops, across mirror lakes, and buildings so tall he reached for them and almost felt them beneath his fingertips. The world finally felt in reach, and he knew what to do.