Do You Know My Name? | Teen Ink

Do You Know My Name?

By QueenAssassin SILVER, Wyndmere, North Dakota
QueenAssassin SILVER, Wyndmere, North Dakota

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
–Walt Disney

The late Spring wind blew through the park, as if whispering comforting words to the girl. She sat on a bench, looking up at the hospital. She had skipped school today to see him after the accident. Sighing, she looked down at her lap. The sapphire necklace glinted in the sunlight, catching her eye. She held it up off her neck, feeling it gently. It was a gift from him. She grasped it and stood up. They had told her that he may not remember anything, but she didn’t believe them.
She felt her heart urging her on, a gentle whisper in the mind. Taking slow steps, she walked over to the hospital. The area was quiet. Nurses were leading some patients out of the hospital to go into the park. She was walking up to the doorway when a soft tug pulled on her nice black felt jacket. Turning, a young blonde girl smiled up at her.
“Hello lady,” the girl said.
Smiling, the young teenager knelt down and said, “Hello little lady.” The young girl giggled at her, thinking she was silly.
“Are you sick?” the young girl asked, cocking her head slightly to the side. Her blonde hair glinted golden in the sun.
“No, I’m seeing a friend,” the teenager told her.
“Oh, that sounds fun! I was sick, but I’m all better now,” the young girl said with a happy smile.
“Oh, there you are! You shouldn’t run off like that,” said a new voice. A black haired nurse came running up and picking the young girl up. “Thank you for keeping her out of trouble.”
“No problem. Bye little lady,” the teenager said with a smile. The young girl smiled and waved goodbye as the nurse took her away.

She took a deep breath and looked at the door, seeming dark from where she was standing. It seemed ominous and foreboding. Taking slow, soft steps, she walked up to the automatic door. It made a soft whir as it opened to her presence. She looked around the empty hospital, only the receptionist sitting behind the short desk. She was typing on the computer when the teenager walked up. She looked up and smiled.
“Hello, can I help you?”
“Um, yeah. I’m a friend of a patient in the Recovery ward,” the teenager replied, shifting her feet slightly and putting her hands in her pockets.
“Name?” the receptionist asked, typing a bit to get to the search part of the computer.
“Um, Kendric Roberts.” She typed the name in and looked.
“Mr. Roberts in Room 189. May I have a name for the visitor log?”
The teenager gave her name and the receptionist wrote it down before pointing her to the ward. She walked down the quiet hallways. A doctor or nurse walked by her occasionally, with a nod to her. She would wave softly in return. She walked up to Room 189’s door. She could hear her heart beating swiftly in nervousness. Slowly, she put her hand on the handle. Getting her grip on handle, she pushed down, hearing the click of the door unlocking. She pushed the door gently open and stepped in. Kendric was sitting up in his bed, reading a book. Unaware of her presence, she stepped up to him. Her heart quickened again and her hands quivered. He looked up at her and blinked. The time came for her to find out the truth. Trembling from nervousness, she asked a question, so very softly.

“Do you know my name?”

I had nothing to inspire me for this. I just thought of it. I hope people like it