Why am I digging? | Teen Ink

Why am I digging?

April 9, 2014
By tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio
tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio
18 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I was outside digging a large hole in my backyard, and it had been several hours since I had started. However, I couldn’t remember why I was digging this large hole at 9 p.m. at night on a Monday, so I decided to stop and think about it. Why did I want to dig this large hole when it was so cold outside? I remember grabbing some heavy duty gloves and a small shovel from my garage, but I don’t remember anything before that...with a sigh of frustration I put the shovel down and took the gloves off, then walked back inside my house and headed to the kitchen. I opened the fridge door and took out two water bottles due to my dehydration and began to drink. While I thought, I looked around the kitchen for something to jump out at me and stir my memory. In the kitchen there was a microwave, stove and trash can; none of those things helped jog my memory.
It seemed that there was nothing in the kitchen that would help me remember, so I decided to look outside, and I saw the hole and nothing else. I turned around and began walking upstairs to my room with the water bottle uncapped in my hand. While looking around, I saw a “Realistic Growable Dinosaur” and a “Growable Penguin Egg” sitting on my bookshelf in their brand-new boxes. A memory came to me: I wanted to test to see how big the hatched animals would get if I put them into a large amount of water. The only problem was that after pondering this memory, I decided that this was not the reason I had been digging the hole. It also did not cause me to say, “ I am going to dig a big hole, fill it with water, and find out.”
So where did the big hole idea come from? I looked around my bedroom, thinking, then I noticed a website opened on my laptop. It was a gardening site and the page was opened to how to grow a white rose bush. I began to laugh now, realizing why I began to dig the hole in the first place. I had to go back to the garage and grab a packet of white rose bush seeds and plant two in the hole right away. Once the seeds were in I decided to make a small circular fence out of stakes to keep water out and I did this by placing them only a few inches apart so water couldn’t squeeze through and drown the seeds. Looking down at the hole, I imagined how the rose bushes would look in a few months or so, and thought of my grandmother’s red and white rose bushes. White roses were my favorite of all roses.
That is why I decided to plant them in my backyard, so they had plenty of space to grow and flourish. Now, where did I put my opened water bottle?