Life's Choices | Teen Ink

Life's Choices

By EmmaGardner GOLD, Oceanside, California
EmmaGardner GOLD, Oceanside, California

If today started out badly, you have the power to turn it around. Be strong, be determined and be the amazing person you were made to be. I believe in you! -Debby Ryan

As I walked down the snow covered streets, all I could see were people in a hurry, cold, and people that only cared about themselves. But as I slowed down and I looked deeper, I saw that there were people on the side of the street, and as I looked at them, I saw the pain, the hurt that was burning within side of them. Everyday those families became more visible to me, especially as I passed the same family of six, sitting there on the cold ground, hungry and dirty. Each time I passed them, I kept promising myself that I would stop and talk to them. But each day, I talked myself out of it because I was nervous, scared that they wouldn’t care, or worse of all, that I would be made fun of for hanging out with the “not” cool group.
Each day as I passed that same family, I couldn’t help but hear the rude remarks that people would say as they passed the family. I heard anything from “EWW! They are so gross; the garbage is starting to look better than them! Haha…”
Then to “They seriously need to get off this street. They’re totally putting a damper on my day as I walk to work. Uhhh… So RUDE!”
Each day, I think it would be different, that I could talk to this family, and to have the courage to stand up for them, against those stupid pedestrians that will only ever care about themselves. But each time I try, I chicken out. I’m scared that I would be made fun of, just like that family.
Weeks, months have gone by, since that first time I promised myself that I would talk to this family, but each time, I haven’t been able to get the confidence up to get a single word out of my dry mouth. Then one morning, I got a call from my boyfriend Michael, or so I thought. The voice on the other line wasn’t Michael-- it was Michael’s mom. She started telling me what had happened, I couldn’t believe my ears.
Mrs. Parker said, “Hey Zoey, this is Michael’s mom. I have some bad news. As you know, Michael has been bullied, and I found a note on his bed this morning. He said in the note that he couldn’t deal with being called fat, loner, gay, pushover, loner, ugly, freak, and that he just wanted to end it all. I couldn’t believe my ears, and at first I didn’t believe him. But as I went to the bathroom to look for him, I found him preparing to hang himself right then and there, from the ceiling by a thick blue rope. I took him to the hospital, and they have him staying here overnight, and he will be on antidepressants for a while. I will keep you updated and let you know when I know something new.”
When Mrs. Parker finished talking, my heart sank into the pit of my stomach, and not knowing what to say, I slowly hung up the phone. I instantly burst into tears as I walked out of my house, down the slippery, brick stairs.
As I made the trek down the cold, snowy sidewalk, with my head down, and tears rushing down my raw face, I bumped into someone. When I looked up, I realized that it was the mom of the family of six. At first, I didn’t know what to say, or do.
But she said, “Hey is there anything wrong? Everyday, as I see you walking down the street, you’re always so cheerful, but today you seem like you have been crying.” As I was about to speak, I burst into tears once again, and the mom not thinking twice about it, gave me a hug.
After I calmed down, I asked, “How can you be so nice to me when all I have ever done is ignore you?”
The dirt covered mom said with a huge smile, “It all started one day when EVERYONE was making fun of my family. I felt guilty, and I felt angry, that I couldn’t help my family out of the situation that we were in. That I couldn’t protect them from the constant bullying that they receive everyday from people walking by, just staring at them in disgust. But then one day, this one lady was different. As she approached us, she said her name was Kylie, and that she felt God leading her to tell us something. As Kylie sat down next to me, she said ‘I once heard an encouraging quote from Britt Nicole and she said’

You were walking on the moon, now you’re feeling low. What they said wasn’t true, you’re beautiful. You're worth more than gold! Don’t let what others says about you, take your shine. Though, we may not know at times why we go through hard things, God will NEVER leave you! He has you and your family in His arms, and you ARE going to do great thing!
The mom looked up at me and said, “What Kylie told me that day really stuck with me. That we ARE special, no matter what others may say.”
As I sat there in amazement of her strength, I said, “You’re right! It doesn’t matter what others may say, or do, because we are all BEAUTIFUL. Thank you!”
As we finished talking, and I was leaving, the “popular” group came by and started making fun of the family, and that’s when I wasn’t afraid to stand up anymore. I said, “Hey guys knock it off! They have never done anything to you guys before. Leave them alone!” They stared at me, and yes started making fun of me instead.
But I honestly didn’t care if they did it to me. Ever since that day, I knew that taking that stand was the right choice. So what are you guys waiting for? Come on and join me in taking this stand today!

As I sat in my room thinking about how common bullying is becoming, I knew I needed to write about it to get the word out. That we need to take that stand against bullying, and help stop it before it get's any worse.