The Nickname | Teen Ink

The Nickname

By tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio
tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio

I was seated in a medium-sized room and in the center was a large dining table that had plenty of seats for everyone. That is the room where everyone takes their breaks from work such as eating lunch or just relaxing until it is time for them to go back to work. The room was a light silver, and the tables matched the room color as did the chairs. There were thirty chairs around the large dining table, but only twenty four got filled in everyday. As I went to sit down and begin eating my lunch I bumped into one of my close friends who called me by my nickname in front of my other co-workers. To add to my embarrassment they asked for the story behind it. Taking a deep breath while glaring at my close friend I began the story.
The story went like this “I was born as one of the smallest in my family, also the shortest. One time I thought of a word to rhyme with the end of my first name “ tina” and came up with Teen that changed into Teenie which matched in a way to my grandfather’s nickname for me.” “It officially changed to Tinyteenie due to my height, that is where my nickname came from.” Once I finished the story laughter had erupted throughout the room as shuffled feet of co-workers left all except my close friend who yelled at the other co-workers who had laughed.
My close friend looked at my glare, then said “ Sorry,Teenie, I thought the story was interesting and it wasn’t right of them to laugh at you.” I sighed, then sat down in one of the comfy chairs and rubbed my temples. While doing so I said, “It is going to be a long night for this article to get done.” My close friend then had an idea. “ Why not do an article on everyone’s nicknames and how they earned them?” she said, winking. I laughed knowing she just wanted to get them back for laughing at me but it was a good idea.
I went to my office after telling my friend to get back to work, turned on my laptop and sent out an email to all my co-workers. The email stated this “ for the weekly article we will have a column about how everyone earned their nicknames and why they earned them.” Many of the co-workers emailed me back saying that they refused to write such an article however, they had one obstacle: the boss who had agreed with me and my close friend on the topic of the article. At the end of the week on the boss’s desk laid twenty four full printed papers with twelve font print subscriptions for the article.
The boss allowed me and my close friend to take a look, and we burst out laughing. Many of the nicknames were hilarious to see, but the boss told us that it would be wrong to laugh at their nicknames even if they laughed at mine. Even though my close friend and I knew that the boss was laughing on the inside.