A New Environment | Teen Ink

A New Environment

March 17, 2014
By Cassidy Baumann SILVER, Ormond Beach, Florida
Cassidy Baumann SILVER, Ormond Beach, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many children have had to deal with transferring to a different school. Whether it’s for personal reasons or you’re moving, or maybe your parents didn’t like the school you were going to. Having to go to a new school and learn a new routine and understand an entirely different school is only half of the hardships children go through during a transition like this.

I was eight when I transferred schools. I didn’t think I would mind because of a special treat they had at the school.
“I went and visited your new school today,” she said, “And during lunch you can buy a whole pickle all for yourself.” That was it, I am going to this school and it will be awesome because of these pickles.

I turned in my old uniform and said goodbye to my small class and was sent to what I imagined to be a whole new world.

As my mom and I pulled up to the school and into the circular parent drop-off, I noticed there were kids helping other kids out,
“Mom why are the teachers so tiny?” I asked, “No Cass, here when you become a fifth grader, you can be a safety patrol just like those kids and help keep the school in order.” Gee, I wonder what else there is here.

My nerves started to grow stronger and stronger as we inched up to the front of the line and the kids were waiting to open my door. My mom always told me that I was good at making friends, and that I was a “Social butterfly” but this was different. I had just hugged my mother so tightly for what I believed to be the last time, and slid out from the car. This place was huge; Kids running everywhere, screaming coming from every hallway and laughter filling my ears. I felt myself walking slowly down the hallway afraid of running into anyone or giving someone the wrong look. I mean come on, here’s this little girl from a private school with 15 kids in a class to this gigantic public school with hundreds of children.

I walked around and then without warning this awfully loud bell vibrated my ears with such power that I thought there was a bomb or a tornado warning going off. I turned around with a shocked look on my face and watched as hundreds of children flocked from the cafeteria towards me. This is it, I am dead they are all going to trample me and steal my lunch this is a nightmare. I shut my eyes as tight as possible and covered my ears. Then it happened. I’m hit! I’m hit! I thought as I fell to the ground. I looked up to see the tallest girl in the world standing over my body which I was pretending was lifeless.
“Get up” she snarled.
Quickly, I grabbed my lunchbox and jumped to my feet. She was even taller than I expected.
“Don’t get in my way or I’ll knock you down again little girl.”
I looked down at my feet and powerwalked away in a direction I was hoping was home. While my pace was steady a teacher grabbed me by the shoulder.
“Whoa slow down there speed lightning” she said, “Where are you headed?”
“Home,” I replied.
She laughed with such a high pitch I thought for sure my ears were bleeding now if they weren’t already from that mystery horn.
“What grade are you in sweet pea?” Sweet pea… who does this lady think she is calling me sweat pea! I don’t even know her!
“Uhh second grade…”
“Why you’re in my class!”

Before I could say otherwise she was steering me into her class. Once I had regained my balance from losing control over my feet I looked around. My classroom was nice and all but this, this was amazing. Lights in every color hung around the room, cut outs from previous students hung on the walls, chairs of different colors and tables in round shapes all over. I looked to the left and spotted a cubby with my name on it. I dodged the rowdy kids and made my way to the cubby. As soon as I took my pink Barbie doll backpack off to shove it in the cubby I noticed a shadow. I looked up and there standing between me and my specially marked cubby was the meanie who knocked me down.

“Excuse me I need to get to my cubby” I murmured,

“Not before I take everything I want from you little kid.”

I hugged my backpack with all my might, Oh gosh, what if she steals my brand new box of 36 crayons and SpongeBob pencil box.

“Leave her alone.”

I turned around and there barely peaking over my shoulder was a tiny blonde haired girl that looked as if I could sneeze and send her sailing.
“Go away Forever this doesn’t concern you.”

“She is my friend and you don’t treat my friends like this.” Friend? I made a friend? I don’t even know this person and was this girl telling her to go away ‘Forever?’ oh great now my bully is a murderer,

“Whatever, just teach her not to stand in the middle of the hallway like a stump when the bell rings.” So that’s what that racket was, a bell to go to class. How independent these public school kids are.
“My name is Forever, Forever Young.”
“No way what’s your real name.”

“It is and I know it’s strange but that’s what they call me!”

I grew up with Forever as a very close friend for almost 10 years now. We aren’t as close as we were in second grade and most of middle school but she will always be my first friend in elementary school.


The author's comments:
Writing this story brought back memories even if this was a nonfiction piece and it will be forever close to my heart.