Survival of Happiness | Teen Ink

Survival of Happiness

By RaquelGaribay SILVER, Lewisville, Texas
RaquelGaribay SILVER, Lewisville, Texas

"Believe you can and you're half way there."-Theodore Roosevelt

The young boy ate cheetos, the food remnants left red, bloody stains on his skinny fingers. If only he knew of someone to give him food, as they left him to eat out of the trash because not even the strangers cared. Eating out of the trash disgusted him at first , but no other choice remained, he needed to use his survival skills as he felt abandoned with no hope. This reminded him of one of his favorite tv shows that always showed on Discovery Channel at 9 PM, called Man vs. Wild where a man named Bear Grylls went out into the wild with nearly nothing on him except a few extra supplies, and he would catch fish and hunt amongst the cheetahs unafraid. Now this sole show gave him hope and purpose, he reminded himself that he, like Bear needed to survive in the barbarity of society.

As the boy dug through the trash ravenously like a wolf, he found a hammer. He immediately questioned the idea of someone throwing out a hammer, but then he realized that now he could use the tool as a supply and he no longer cared for the sanity of the person. He gazed at the hammer intently, the hammer probably seemed of no importance to anyone else who saw the simple tool, but to him the tool shone brightly with its smooth, polished metal and with a curved wooden handle that made any handyman proud. The hunger and pain of his vacant stomach disappeared completely, and he no longer hoped for a family or food. The days that passed after led him to go on adventurous missions; to the park down the road, and on the streets of the homes with warm, happy lights. He fed with the squirrels as he used his appliance to crack nuts; leaving messy, broken pieces of pecans and black walnuts that fell from various trees. The squirrels made him content, they followed him everywhere waiting for him to open nuts for them, he felt useful and wanted for once. He learned that to survive, you needed to breathe happiness and hope and nothing more.