Contentment | Teen Ink

Contentment

February 28, 2014
By jessejames BRONZE, Delevan, New York
jessejames BRONZE, Delevan, New York
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Do you remember a time or place in your life where you felt that nothing could ever go wrong? You may have been in an amusement park having the time of your life or you could be hunting with friends or family, as the biggest buck that you’ve ever seen decides to wonder by your tree stand and you get that rush of adrenaline that you have that makes you feel tingly inside and you don’t know what to do. You could also have a place that you go to when you are upset or angry about a given event or experience, a place that you can that is secluded, and tranquil that nobody knows about except for you, a place you can go and just listen to the sound of the warm summer breeze gently flowing through the rustling leaves, or the sound of a bass popping out of the water when a mosquito hovers above the water or the sound of the squirrels hopping and playing in the brush while the birds chirp and squeal at the other passing swallows. A place where you can fish or trap without a problem or worry in the world.

The best experience I have had at this special place is, going camping in the late weeks of summer with my once fantastic girlfriend, sitting around the camp fire as the leaves “crackle” and “pop” we go to sleep after the fire has settled and is now just hot embers, but still you can hear the faint sound of the pressure being released from the charred and burned pieces of oak. I wake up around 5:30 or 6:00am, without her knowing I get up make breakfast, I notice her rustling around inside as I am out for an early morning fish, sitting on the dock, with my rod and reel she distinctively says “do you ever do anything but fish?” I snicker and say “only when I’m apart from you.” But that is only one of the many instances that I have had in that particular spot.

Having memories with your friends is great, but having an experience that can’t be compared to anything else in the world is priceless.