Survivior | Teen Ink

Survivior

By shadow_girl13 BRONZE, Destrehan, Louisiana
shadow_girl13 BRONZE, Destrehan, Louisiana

"Don't let other people judge you. You are who you who you are. Don't change because someone wants you to. Just be yourself."

All she could remember was her car crashing into a big tow truck and almost being drowned in the nearest lake on Big Red Bridge. Her car slipping off the edge with her passed out in the driver’s seat. Ambulances, police cars, and fire trucks surrounded the area. Everyone was screaming and shouting thinking that she wouldn’t survive. Luckily, she did.

She arose on her white comfy hospital bed, roaming the room she was in. Barely opening her eyes, she seen all kinds of wires attached to her body and she realized she could barely move. She felt as stiff as a totem pole. A nurse walked in her room looking through papers. She had a white doctor’s coat on with a mask around her neck.

“Oh good your awake,” She said. “You were in a coma for about 28 hours and we didn’t think you would make it. Your one heck of a survivor.”

“Where am I?” Jane asked.

“You’re at the hospital. Remember? You were in that major accident on the Big Red Bridge with the tow truck. You almost got killed. A boy saved you and just ran off but your lucky whoever it was saved you or you wouldn’t be here.”

Jane looked around. Tears started rushing down on her face; she was so happy she made it out alive.
“Sorry, I have a little headache and it’s a little harder to remember when I just woke up from a deep sleep that I was in for 28 hours.” Jane said. Her head felt like her brain was going to explode and her throat was sobbing and it felt like a knife stabbing her in the neck.

“It’s okay, I’ll go tell the doctor you’re awake so he can talk to you,” She replied as she was leaving the room.

What happened? Who in the world saved me? How did I get into all of this drama? She thought. Jane wondered what happened to the man in the truck, was it her fault she almost died or was it his? She also thought about how her family reacted to all of this, she thought about her mom and dad, her little sister Aubree who is 7 years old and her baby brother Tyler who is about 2 years old. She tried to remember before the accident, if she was speeding or not, or going the wrong way, or even texting or talking on her phone. But all she could remember was right when the accident happened. She figured if that she got out of the hospital as soon as possible, the sooner she could get answers.

“Well, hello there, my name is Dr. Smith.” the doctor greeted as he walked in with a smile upon his face. He had grayish blackish hair. He wore a white doctor’s coat like the one the nurse was wearing and he wore glasses. Jane hoped that he was smiling for good news.
“Hello,” Jane murmured quietly.

“Okay, let’s see here,” He began looking through is papers. “Are you feeling okay?”

“No, not really.” Jane’s throat was killing her. “I can’t even move, the only thing I can move is my hands. And I have a headache and a sore throat.”

“I’ll give you some medication after I’m finished talking to you. About your legs,” He paused.

“What about them?” She began to worry.

“In the major accident you hurt your legs really bad so we had to remove them.” He had a frown on his face. “You won’t be able to walk by yourself ever again but you will have to wait until we get metal legs to attach to you, if you want.”

“What?!” Jane was really upset when she heard the bad news but why was he smiling when he walked in?

“Don’t worry, at least you made it out alive, you could’ve been killed.” Doctor Smith explained. He shoved all his papers in his folder and walked out the room. Jane got the remote and turned on the TV. She heard a knock on her door.

“Come in,” She cried, wiping her tears off her face. When the door opened, her little sister Aubree sprinted in the room and jumped onto Jane’s hospital bed.

“Sister, sister!” She screamed. Right behind her, Jane’s parents and her baby brother Tyler walked in. They have been away from Jane for a week because Jane went to her friend’s house in California and she was on her way back and that’s when they accident happened on the bridge. And Jane has been away from her parents for 8 days because she was in a coma for 28 hours.

“Hey Aubree!” Jane was excited and gave her a big hug.

“What happen to you, Sister?” Jane asked, holding her favorite doll in her hand.

“Oh just a little accident,” Jane replied.

“Well, the doctor said that you’re able to leave in a couple of days, okay?” Her mom explained.

“Whatever,” Jane was really mad because she couldn’t leave right away.

“Mom,” Jane asked.

“Yes, Jane?” She replied.

“Was it my fault, I’m sitting here with no legs?” She was worried. “And who saved me? Is the truck driver okay?”

“Well, I’m sure it wasn’t your fault, some people who were driving behind you, and in front of you, said that it was the truck drivers fault. He was going way to fast and texting on his phone.”

“Really?!” She was relieved that it wasn’t her fault. “But who was the boy that saved me?”

“I’m not sure, some people said he had black hair, he’s about your height, like 2 inches taller, but you’re lucky he saved you.” She exclaimed.

“When I leave this hospital, I’m going to find out who in the world he is,” She said.

***
In a couple of days or so, Jane was able to leave the hospital. The nurse wheeled her out into her new van. She had her own wheel chair, which was pink and red. She had a huge pocket where she could put her school bag or other items in it. She also had 2 cup holders, one on the right and one on the left. Her parents, however, had to exchange for a new car. They had to get a handicapped van for Jane to be in. Jane wasn’t thrilled to have no legs but she was very happy that she was a survivor.

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Haha, this is awesome! Your story is a wonderful story! I'm curious to know what ahppened, and if the boy did save her. I hope you continue, as long as you want to! Thank you for sharing this! ^_^

Awe thanks

Shadow_Wolf GOLD, Mayfield Heigts, Ohio

"Love is not opening your eyes but opening your heart."
"You see not with your eyes, But with your heart."
"Think first with your heart not your head."
"If it has a heart, It is human."

This story has a wonderul idea behind it.... However there are many places that could have used more description, while others could have used less. Other than that Well done

Promethean SILVER, Kanpur, Other

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind....

feeling got drilled into my heart. Oh Jane!

SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois

“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau

It has a fantastic idea, definitely unique, but show don't tell. . Also, try to add in more emotion.