Shannon | Teen Ink

Shannon

By CSherman BRONZE, Sutton, Massachusetts
CSherman BRONZE, Sutton, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Girls were not my forte. It seemed like anytime I tried to flirt with a girl at my school, they just thought I was kidding, but I wasn't. I didn't know what else I could do. I've talked to pretty much every girl in my class and none of them wanted anything to do with me. How was I going to try to meet a girl now? Do I go to a girl in a grade below me? No, none of them will go for me. Do I try to meet someone at a party? Good one, I don't get invited to parties. That's what I thought.

I got an invitation in the mail for a girl's sweet sixteen party. The girl used to go to my school but she started going to a vocational school for high school two years ago and I haven't seen her since. Why was I getting invited to this? Did it matter? It was a party! A chance to meet girls! But there was just one problem: my social problems. I feel like when I talk to people, I make them uncomfortable; especially girls. There was no way I was going to find a girl to like me at this party, but I went anyway.

It was at a hotel that was a half-hour away. When I got there and went inside, I was one of the first people there so I just went to one of the tables and sat there drinking a coke. More people gradually showed up and some of my friends came to sit with me. Then one of my friends showed up with a friend that I didn't recognize. She came over to say hello and she introduced me to her friend.

Shannon.

They walked away but I couldn't take my eyes off of her all night. She was stunning. Absolutely beautiful. I tried to walk over and talk to her but I couldn't bring myself to do that. My legs got shaky, my armpits sweaty, and my throat dry. I finally mustered up the courage to go over and try to talk to her. I introduced myself again and so did she. We started talking and before we knew it, the party was over. When I got home, I immediately “friended” her on Facebook and she the same.

We chatted on there the whole night and all day the next day. We started hanging out at the mall and at her house. One day, I leaned over to her and kissed her. That was my first kiss. It was magical. Absolutely phenomenal. But she didn't seem too interested in it. Sure, she said it was great but I could tell she felt the opposite. I asked her if she would like to be my girlfriend and she accepted the offer. She was my first girlfriend and I was hoping that she would be the last. We dated for 8 months and then it was prom time. Obviously I was going to ask her.

I called her up and asked if she wanted to go with me. She said yes and the next week I went tux shopping. It was a black suit with a green button down shirt. She looked beautiful in her light green dress; The most amazing girl I have ever seen. We took pictures with our friends and I drove her and myself to the dance. When we got there, I told her I was going to get some punch for us When I got back, she was nowhere to be seen. I asked around if anyone had seen her and finally someone said he saw her go to the back room. I went back there and saw her with my best friend – now my ex-best friend. I didn't know what to do. My girlfriend of 8 months was kissing my best friend of five years. Again, my legs got shaky, armpits sweaty, and throat dry. I stormed out of the country club, got in my car, and just drove around. My anger was unlike any anger I've had before. My vision was hazy and I crashed my car into a telephone pole. I was unconscious for a day and woke up in a hospital bed.

Since that night, I haven't seen Shannon or my “best friend”.

Is it all girls or just the girls I chose that are not worth it? I'm a nice kid, good hearted. I mean no harm to anyone. I've had other girlfriends since them but none of them are the “one”. I'm just trying to find the right girl that will make me happy for the rest of my life. Sometimes I feel like Ted Mosby from “How I Met Your Mother”. I know that there is someone out there that is the perfect girl. Smart, beautiful, and loves me for who I am.

And I hope she's looking for me too.