We're Handing You Your New Life | Teen Ink

We're Handing You Your New Life

January 15, 2014
By Melissa Hedrick BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California
Melissa Hedrick BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California
2 articles 4 photos 1 comment

A man helped Lynne step out of the black, four-door Lincoln. Her feet fell onto the pavement that quickly heated up the soles of her work-issued shoes. The man then handed her a heavy backpack.

“In here is everything you’ll need and don’t forget to keep your blindfold on until you can no longer hear the car,” a deep male voice instructed.

Lynne heard the door slam shut and the engine rev as the car pulled away. She was used to drop-offs like this; she had been through hundreds of them over her 47 years as an agent.

She slipped off the black cloth shielding her eyes.

“Oh hell, are you freaking kidding me?”

All that could be seen for miles was dirt. And rocks. She was lucky to see a cactus rigidly standing with his arms in the air.

“Out of all places I’ve EVER been dropped this is the worst. What is even going to be out here?” Lynne knelt down on the ground and unzipped the backpack, pulling out the black folder that was going to reveal her current mission. She flipped open the front cover and saw a birth certificate, social security card, credit card and some other forms.

Wait, these papers aren’t like the usual ones, Lynne thought. She started to flip through pages until she got to the last one.

Dear Ms. Lynne,

We greatly appreciate all the missions you have successfully completed for us over the years. You’ve helped improve our national security immensely but it is now time for us to let you go. We’ve included all your new identification forms that you’ll need from now on. Your new and final name is Jane Doe and you’ll find the deed to your home in the back of the package. Good luck getting a ride and don’t forget that we will always be available to give you assistance, it’s the least we could do.


“NO! NO! NO,” she yelled. Lynne knew this had been coming for years but she didn’t expect this today. Her husband had left her years ago due to her unstable lifestyle and this job was all she had left. She wasn’t allowed to contact her family and lost touch with all her old friends. She now had to build a new life in an unknown town. With the most generic name in the world.