Laura | Teen Ink

Laura

By Keweyeverride BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina
Keweyeverride BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina

"If no one in the world cared about you, did you really exist at all?" - Cassandra Clare

Russel was sitting in a coffee shop that was clean and neat. The tables were polished and the chairs were only plush on the back and the seat, while the rest of it was a soft honey colored wood. The plush was sea foam green to match the walls. Russel didn’t mind as the waitress walked past his table to help another. He wasn't thirsty or hungry; he just liked it here. He was a regular because it was so easy to lose himself in his thoughts here because of the bustling of people and the smell of coffee. Sometimes he’d sit here and think for hours while continuously ordering coffee just so he could stay. As he turned towards the window he saw a sight that stopped him in his chest. It was her; the girl he had loved for so long.

She was as beautiful as always. Her hair fell in rivulets down her back and around her shoulders. It was dirty blonde with platinum blonde highlights. Her hazel eyes were framed with thick brown lashes. She was perfect to him. He hadn't seen her since he graduated high school.

4 years later, and here she was. Right before his eyes. He couldn't do anything before, but he could now. If he had the guts to.

He looked down at himself. A nice, long sleeved, navy colored shirt that were rolled to his elbows. It was slightly wrinkled. His hair was still nicely gelled and he had contacts on. He was wearing his good jeans. Thank God, he thought. He raked his fingers through his jet black hair, got up, and shoved the door open. He could hear the tinkling of the bells behind him as he made his way towards her.

She was dressed in a nice, simple, but beautiful dress that fell to her knees in a swirl of green. A gold belt cinched in the dress at mid belly. She had changed her hairstyle since then. Of course she had, he thought. It had been 4 years after all. He had to keep mustering strength to continue. When he stopped before her, he drank the sight of her in. Her eyes were a soft hazel with specks of green. Her curls framed her heart shaped face perfectly and her skin had a soft bronzed tan to it. Her lips were a soft red. Those lips he thought before meeting her eyes again. She looked up at him with a look of wonder at first then it quickly dissolved into familiarity. She smiled. Her voice sounded like wind chimes. "Hello Russel."

He paused, choosing his next words carefully. He grabbed her hands and held them against his chest. "I know this is out of the blue and we haven’t seen each other in years but I love you. I love the way you walk, how you continuously played with your hair whenever you were flustered or bored. I love the way you clench your hands into fists when you’re angry. I wish I could shape how I feel about you into words but words cannot simply tell how much I love you." He hesitated, waiting for her reaction.

She simply stared at her feet with a sad expression on her face. “Do you know how long I’ve wanted you to say those words?”, she asked. “I loved you too Russel but I waited for much too long and you never reached out.” She turns away from him. “It’s too late Russel.”

“I’m engaged.”

Please comment! It's dedicated to my ex best friend. This is for your Russel.