A Little Advice Goes a Long Way | Teen Ink

A Little Advice Goes a Long Way

December 2, 2013
By steelfoam SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin
steelfoam SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Diane tensed when the two girls from her dance school walked into the cozy coffee shop. She couldn’t be seen with her friend, Jennifer, without total the humiliation and degradation of her hard earned social status. Jennifer was not in her league as far as dance was concerned, as she was merely a backup dancer for the upcoming winter showcase. Diane began to get up, but the two girls spotted her. “Never change yourself to make someone else happy.” Those were her father’s final words before he left for the final time. She sat back down. Her heart pounded with the force of a sledgehammer at the thought of facing them.
“What are you doing here with that dork?”
Diane sensed a cold feeling like a spider moving up her spine as she filled with adrenaline.
“What’s it to you?”
“Diane, there’s no way you’re going to lead the Winter Showcase hanging out with trailer trash like that.”
Jennifer rose indignantly.
Although Diane came from the same place as the two wealthy and talented demons in front of her, she would not be the same as them on the inside. She rejected the vile beings these girls had become. Never would she stoop to their level.
Diane stood; all 5 foot 10 inches of her pale, slender body flared with the fire of justice.
“It’s time for you to leave.”
“God, what’s wrong with you Diane?”
Diane glared with steely eyes colder than ice.
“I’ll see you two at the showcase.”

”Scene, that’s a wrap!”
said a loud echoing voice.
“Great acting, Diane! Raw emotion, I love it!”
“Thanks, David!”
Diane reflected back to three months ago when she didn’t even want to audition, let alone star in the school musical. She could remember the advice her best friend gave her: “You miss all that shots you fail to take.” She remembered walking into the audition, frozen with fear. She walked out of the auditorium with a smile on her lips.


The author's comments:
Inspired by words of advice.