The Crevasse Carolers | Teen Ink

The Crevasse Carolers

December 23, 2013
By NatEAA BRONZE, East Brunswick, New Jersey
NatEAA BRONZE, East Brunswick, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"God gave you two hands; one for helping yourself and one for helping others"


“Hold on!” I screamed at my little brother when he once again let go of my hand.
“Sorry, Jen.” He apologized as I rolled my eyes. The water fall rushed down spilling over years of built up rock and debris.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” I gushed and for a second forgetting our major problem.

“Um, hello! Did you forget that we’re trying to get out of here?” My little brother Trey flared.

“Oh yeah.” I looked down at my bloody thigh, and tried to lift my self out of the tight crevasse my brother and I were wedged in.

“How’s your leg?” Trey asked as his whole body shook like a fish out of water.
Slowly, I peek at the laceration in my flesh. “As good as it gets, Trey.”

“J-j-jen?” He stammered. “Can I please let go for a second, I have and i-i-itch.”
With an endless amount of hesitation, I released my monster grip on the little boys hand and he immediately scratched the indentation between his ear and his head.

“How’re we going to get out of here? How’re we going to get food?”
Taking in a deep breath, I exhaled an icy cold fog. “I have some food in the pocket of my pants. I’ll figure out a way to get it. Trust me.”

“Sorry,” Trey looks down into the glacier.

“For what?”

“It’s my fault we fell,” He sighed. “I should have stopping running when you told me to. If I did, we wouldn’t have slipped into this hole. Plus you wouldn’t have cut your leg when we fell in.”

“It’s okay. Let’s just worry about saving our lives.” I tried to wiggle but stopped when the ice block separating my waist from my upper body started making slashes in my heavy winter jacket. I heard my stomach rumble, but there was no way for my arms to go through the ice block and reach my pants.

“Mom’s probably freaking out.” Trey pointed out.


“I’m sure dad is too. They’ll find us though.”
Trey raised his eyebrows in disbelief. “How? There’s nothing but miles of ice and mountains and we’re stuck in a hole!”

“Stop it. Don’t be negative.”

“There’s a difference between negative and realistic,” Trey shot back.

“Seriously, this isn’t the time to be a brat.”
Trey crossed his arms. “I’m cold and hungry.”

“I know, but there’s honestly nothing I can do. Do you want my jacket?”
Shaking his head, my brother frowned. “No. Jen if anybody should die it should be me. You’re almost sixteen. You have you’re huge party to look forward to. I’m just a ten year old loser.”
I reached over and hit him on his head. “Don’t talk like that. We both deserve a happy and healthy life.”

“It’s snowing.” He interrupted me as he looked up out of the crevasse.

“I told you and dad, ‘Let’s just go to Hawaii for Christmas vacation!’ but no, you guys wanted to go hiking on icy snowy mountains!”

“Sorry! I already said I was sorry!”
Rolling my green eyes, I shook my head. “Whatever.”

“Jen, what are we going to do?”
Not having any idea, I pretended to think by tapping a gloved finger against my temple. Then I got an actual idea. “Well when times are tough, always sing!”
Trey cocked his head and gave me a dirty look. “No.”

“Well then I guess we’ll just sit here and wait. Cold, hungry and bored.”


My eyes were struggling to stay open when dusk rolled in. My lips were probably blue even though I obviously couldn’t see them. When I closed my eyes, they opened again when I heard Trey starting to sing.

“The First Noel, the angel did say…”
I smiled and happily joined him. By the morning we found ourselves covering every Christmas song in the book. When the helicopter came to save us, smiles took over our faces as we finished the last melody.

“Wow, kids.” The helicopter worker complimented. “Just sit tight as we saw you guys out.”
The sounds of the chainsaws were overpowered by our loud singing. “Oh! Frosty the Snowman, was a jolly happy soul, with a corn cob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal…!”