Blue Bear | Teen Ink

Blue Bear

November 8, 2013
By chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
― A.A. Milne


As I walk on the broken sidewalk, I remind myself of the things I need to do today at work. It's been a stressful year. The company hasn't been getting the normal amount of customers, and everyone is working hard to keep up. I think about how I need to clean my office. It's unorganized. I'm too busy thinking that I almost trip. I stop focusing so much on work and focus on the ground. I don't normally walk this way, but I'm taking a shortcut. As my brain fills with numbers, I spot something on the ground. All my thinking stops. It was my favorite toy. I see it in front of me on the sidewalk. This is almost unreal. I look around, and no one is looking at me. My mind fills with memories I had with this blue bear. I'm hearing my father's voice and my mother's laughter as I see myself with my old toy. I bend down and sit in front of it. I reach out carefully. When I go to pick it up, it disappears. My hands grab empty air, and the place on the pavement before me holds nothing except a crack.


The author's comments:
I was given the inspiration of the sight of a baby's blue bear toy on the ground.