The Run | Teen Ink

The Run

By Yas315 SILVER, Edison, New Jersey
Yas315 SILVER, Edison, New Jersey

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods:
There is a rapture on the lonely shore:
There is society, where none intrudes.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more...

She’s sitting pleasantly on the carpet floor with one of her old-time best friends. They’re catching up on past adventures and school and boys whilst half-watching an episode of Friends. The doorbell rings and the knocks on the door are growing louder. They don’t know who lets him in but they can hear heavy and quick footsteps. The voice mutters, “Where is she?!” They both look at each other with disdain. The figure slowly approaches the doorway, hovering. His eyes look sad and relieved at the same time. “Zenith!” he says exasperated coming closer to her as he welcomes her with his big bear hug. She squirms, struggling to break free. “Leave me alone!” she heaves as she finally lets go.

Before she knows it she’s running down the hallway, skipping steps down the stairs, unlocking her car door, and trying to start the car. He’s running after her, his eyes are sad and bewildered. She locks all the doors manually, cursing herself silently for not buying a newer car. “Come on. Come on, start up.” she yells as she triggers the keys. He catches up to her car and tugs on the passenger door. He moves to the opposite side of the car, tugging on the back seat handle opening it violently. She gasps in horror as she realizes she forgot to lock the back right door. “Where are we going?” he asks amused, putting half his body onto the seat. The car finally starts up and she slams on the accelerator, the door violently swings back and forth. “Would you calm down, Ze? Is this how you greet me?” he asks as he tried to close the door. Her head is screaming with obscenities and bursting with potential retorts but nothing comes out of her mouth. She quickly makes a sharp turn, trying to avoid the frozen pond. As the car spins, he makes his way to the passenger seat, inching closer to her as the car nears to a stop. He pins her to her car door, looking intently into her eyes and then her lips. Quietly, her hands reach the door handle and she falls a bit backwards, racing out. Her feet are numbing as they touch the snow fallen ground. She looks behind her shoulder and doesn’t see him following her. She continues on, fearing that maybe she couldn’t see his figure in between her blurry, teary eyes.

She sees a Dunkin-Donuts, relieved to see people sitting inside laughing and eating. She swings open the door, looking for a bathroom to clear her face up when she sees those eyes reading behind a newspaper. She approaches him screaming, “GET OUT OF MY LIFE. I DON’T WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN.” No one looked up, no one realized she was screaming. He put the newspaper down nonchalantly and half-smiled, his eyes twinkling, “You just can’t stop thinking about me.”

This piece is inspired from a nightmare of mine. Sometimes whilst we are awake, we don't realize how toxic people or situations are to us. However, something from our unconscious delves deeper and puts everything together. I think we need to listen to our unconscious more instead of deeming it as just "nightmares" or "dreams".