Her First Haunted House | Teen Ink

Her First Haunted House

September 29, 2013
By desicating_damsel PLATINUM, Plainfield, Illinois
desicating_damsel PLATINUM, Plainfield, Illinois
23 articles 18 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was always fascinated by people who are concidered completely normal, because I find them the weirdest of all."
Johnny Depp


“Happy Halloween,” is what people advertised, but is it actually happy? It’s a time for adults to buy candy to hand out to the children who say, “Trick or Treat!” But one unfortunate Halloween night, a little girl got more tricks than treats. This was the first year Abby’s parents allowed the seven year old to explore the neighborhood alone. Over joyed by her mother’s and father’s new found trust in her, Abby set out, in her Cinderella costume, to begin her quest for sweets. Her pillow case half filled with the delectable sugary spoils of the night, soon to rot her teeth, she knocked on a yellow door.
Instead of someone there to give Abby what she so desperately wants, the door cracks open, and she hears a wispy voice. It whispers, “Come in, a bowl of candy is sitting on the kitchen table.” Naively, Abby enters into the front room. The door slams shut behind her and she lets out a yelp of surprise. Now engulfed by the darkness Abby fumbles around to find the door handle, but it’s locked! Cautiously, the terrified little girl proceeds to find another exit. The floorboards creak under her weight, and a damp draft comes from under the door. Completely forgetting about the candy, just wanting to leave this creepy house. Suddenly an ear piercing scream shatters the eerie silence as a horrific monster with a rubber face jumps out, attempting to grab Abby. Panic swallows her as she dodges its humanoid hands and runs as fast as she can away, from the horrid thing, screaming through the darkness. More and more creatures appeared out of the shadows. Each more grotesque and hideous than before.

Finally, out of breath, Abby runs into a large open room with a dim light. In the center of the cement room is a large wooden table with an orange bowl sitting in the edge. Leerily she walks unhurriedly to the table to see there is candy in the bowl. In her fear, Abby had forgotten about it, but now the chocolate sits taunting her. Looking around, expecting more of the gruesome beasts to attack her, she reached her hand into the bowl. The seconds it took for her had to touch a piece felt like hours, but as soon as she did she wished she hadn’t. A severed hand from a corpse rises from beneath the candy cover and grabs her tiny wrist. Abby lets out a cry of pure terror. She wriggles and jerks until she frees her hand. Thinking she’s safe, the room floods with blinding light and the hellish creations come out of hiding, and laugh coldly at her. They remove their terrible faces to reveal themselves as humans. Abby recognizes some of them as her teenage neighbors. Confused, angry, and petrified, she explodes in the tears that she had been trying to hide. As a river flows from each eye the laughter around her comes to an abrupt stop. Now the only sound is that of an innocent seven year old trick victim.