Retrieving the impossible | Teen Ink

Retrieving the impossible

By RoseLouisa PLATINUM, Yishun, Other
RoseLouisa PLATINUM, Yishun, Other

“Juliet had it easy; she never had to kill Romeo.”
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice

“Life, unfortunately, doesn't seem to care what we want.”
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice

“I like him."
"Like or like?
"Oh, there's a difference?”
― Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

My eyes fluttered open. Emptiness filled me. I sat up, wondering in my mind, questions that I could not answer. I slowly looked around, absorbing my surroundings. I was in a luxurious room with exquisitely modern furnishings. I felt lost; I walked up to the dressing table and saw my reflection in the mirror. I stared at my own reflection feeling a sense of unfamiliarity, making me question myself, who am I?
The dressing table was neatly decorated with photos. I grasped the photos, trying to force my brain to spill out information, wanting to feel that tinge of familiarity. The memories bore in the photos seemed so near but yet so far. I looked at them and stared at them but I could see nothing. Just a plain photograph that could not tell me anything except the existence of people I have no clue of.
I placed each of the photographs back to their original position. Looking around again, trying to find something, anything that could be my recollection of these few years of precious memories. Something like this was so irreplaceable so precious and yet lost so easily, like a tiny candle flame snuffed out with one gently blow, the memories might be lost forever, far away into the deep blue sea, unreachable, irretrievable.
The turning of the door knob, the door was pushed open, revealing a young man. I looked him from head to toe with curiosity. But one thing I could not stop noticing about him --- he looks awfully cute. His hair was all mousse into shape and he wore those plain clothes so well that they could have gone straight into the magazine. His eyes, oh god, those eyes, are deadly, they could absorb you into it, and you could easily get lost in those amazing blue eyes. He is certainly the kind of boy half of the school girls would fall on their knees for. And the kind of boy, the other half would do anything to be him to be theirs. As my mind started to drift away, I shook off all those thoughts of distractions, not willing for them to distract me from finding out what is going on.
He came in to the room. I eyed him carefully. Who is he and why is he here? I thought. Is he someone who was sent to kill me? Well his looks alone were already so deadly who knows what he was up to. I thought. I eyed him suspiciously, watching his every move as he strode to my side. Looking at me with those deep eyes of his, just a second, and unexpectedly he pulled me into an embrace. I was momentarily shocked as I stood rooted not knowing what to react. I was confused. But with every passing second, thinking of myself in his arms, I felt my legs turning more jelly, my body seemed to have lost its backbone, I melted into his arms, only supported but those strong arms. My mind was wondering wild, who is he, why is he hugging me and does he love me.
I snapped out of that dreamy state a few seconds later, and started to push him away. I could not just stand there and let him hug me without knowing what exactly happened. I rejected him, I stepped a step back, and asked him, “Who are you? ... Who am I? … Why are you here? Please tell me.” He placed both his hands on my shoulders. Not knowing what he was trying to do, I took a step back again.
“I…” He began.
“I don’t remember.” He sighed.
“I was actually hoping that maybe you could remember.” He continued, looking at the photos at the dressing table.
He turned around and looked at me again and added, “In fact no one that woke up here in this house remembered anything except for bits and pieces of events that happened more than two years ago.”
I looked back at him, how could this be I thought. Are we stuck in some kind of state that caused all of us to lose our memories? I thought. Horrible thoughts started to invade my mind, causing me to be worried. As though he saw through me, he held my hand firmly, looking straight into me. He said with affirmation, assuring me. ” we are going to find your answer and my answers together; you don’t have to worry about it.” I slowly nodded and grasp his hand back in return.
And this is how our adventure of retrieving the impossible began…with nowhere to start and no definite end.
To be continued…