Stand Tall

Have you ever just stared up at the sky and took notice of the birds? The birds that soar past the sun, leaving wisps behind in the atmosphere without a care in the world; the ones that flap all of their might against the Earth, against all odds, against all theories?
I thought about those birds one stormy night, when the lightning flashed horizontally in front of the clouds like prison bars. I wondered: Couldn’t I grow a pair of wings of my own? To fly over all troubles and weaknesses, to soar above my own mind?
I try. Oh, they have no idea, but I try my hardest to strangle the tissue that courses through my legs, but I try to no avail. The only escape I can create is from the portals of words, the portals which seize a young writer and turn her around to gaze in the mirror. Nothing compares to the pleasure a writer receives from the bliss of utter silence and control, yet noise is exactly where one gets her inspiration.
But.
There is one thing I have learned here on the ground: there is always another hand, another way to glance at situations. Some may call it the brighter side, the silver lining, or alternative perspective. So I know I must comply with my imaginary wings for now, which originate from the graphite of my pencil and letters of my keyboard.
Therefore, no matter what anyone says or does, I’m me. Unique. Special. God put me on this earth not so I could wallow is self-pity but so I could make a difference. Everything happens for a reason, and I am that everything. There are a lot of amazing people put in this world that I am eternally grateful for, and I will not let their care go to waste.
After all, aren’t wings for people without a true purpose?
So I guess my legs will continue to stand.

Kindle said...
I never thought of it that way, but you're right: to be free is to be without purpose, but what are we without a purpose in life? We'd be lost. This is brilliant and so inspirational!

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm :
Thank you soooo much!

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nice job! I loved it! Sometimes I wish I could fly too but I never thought of it the way you wrote about it. I suppose I can continue to stand on my legs as well :) You're very inspiring.

Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm :
Thank you so much! It means the world :)

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm :
OMG HANNAH YES i look up to the birds lol, You are brilliant and amazing and i just want to meet you in person to see what kinda of person creates such elegant beutiful work! this poem is by far my new favorite it screams you and how you think it makes me want to re-think everything and die clutching your work. overall, love your word choice, lvoe everything!

Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm :
Haha, thank you sooooo much! It means so much (ik thts probably a cliche already) but it does!!

LiliaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I read this article becasue you asked me to, but I ama commenting entirely of my own accord. I really liked this, and will probably read it multiple times. You captured the thirst of a writer perfectly, and the language makes me have to keep rereading it becasue of the way each word swings. thank you for writing this.

Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:34 pm :
Thank you so much :)