I Sigh, Last Breath | Teen Ink

I Sigh, Last Breath

By cestro BRONZE, Littlehampton, Other
cestro BRONZE, Littlehampton, Other

Loneliness is the human condition, cultivate it.
Destroy what destroys you.

Joseph in the backseat, “Mum, my head feels funny.” I take a look back, checking on him, his face is red and sweaty – aged almost 4 years in ten minutes, his breathing labored.
“I know, sweetheart. We’re going to the doctor.” I try to soothe him; I try not to let the worry seep into my voice. I doubt he would be able to hear it over the sound of his heavy breathing and beating heart. His pulse was too high when I checked, just before I bundled his cold body in a blanket and hurried him to the car. I sigh because the traffic is jammed on 37th, switching on the radio to hear a calm presenter talk about a shooting in an office building, her stable voice that doesn’t even change when she says “Twelve dead,” or “Road blocked.” I glance back at Joseph, whose eyes droop slowly down.
“Don’t go to sleep, honey. We’ll be there in a moment.” I tell him, his eyes flutter but fall back down. I switch the station to Latin dance, crank the volume to sixty percent for ten seconds before lowering it back down, and his eyes open.
“I hurt, mummy.” I sigh because the traffic has started moving again, and I see my turn and a clear path. I maneuver the car into the next lane, indicating early so I won’t miss it. Joseph groans, a wet cough, shifts on the seat. I reach my hand back to feel his forehead, one hand on the wheel turning by accident. The reverberating beep from the angry jammed up driver behind me who, when I look back, flips me the bird and swears loudly. Flick the button to put the windows up, and switch on the air-conditioner because Joseph is now hot again, and I sigh because I finally turn onto my street and pass the grocery store, because I remembered that I forgot to pick up toilet paper and that my brother is coming to visit tomorrow night. I sigh because I realize that I am speeding and I just passed a speed camera, the flash stinging my eyes and scaring me, and I didn’t even know there was a camera there.
“Hold on, hold on, hold on.” I tell Joseph, slowing the car down to the appropriate speed and switching the station back to the news – “What a horrific story, there Jan, now let’s talk about the royal baby” – I bang the steering wheel because I don’t give a damn about the royal baby and I am uncomfortable with the progression of the headlines, the dulcet tone of voice, because Joseph is getting cold again and his pulse is throbbing hard, a vein in his head pounding visibly. Switch the station to rock, 70’s hour and I can hear The Beatles. I switch lanes to avoid being backed up again, switch back.
“Almost there, sweetheart.” But the sound barely leaves my mouth before I hear a loud bang, my body thrusting forward and then backward into my seat, and an echo of beeping. A dainty sound of sprinkling. I want to switch the station because the news is somehow back on and I can’t stand those god damned presenters but I can’t move my hand, and I sigh because I realize I can’t see a thing and I can’t move at all but I can hear a whole lot and “Mummy, wake up!” Joseph says. I sigh because I am not asleep, and I think he must be starting to hallucinate, because I’m not sure where we are but I know that Joseph is hot and cold and sweaty, his head hurts, and there was blood in one of his coughs. I try to open my eyes but they don’t even move, so I sigh again because I’m not even making any noise and I can hear a beep and the thump thump thump of Josephs heart but I can’t even breathe.
“Stop bleeding, Mummy. Wake up.”

This piece was written very quickly, based on a flash of inspiration - of which I had been lacking for a while. It's about the fragility of life and the endlessly ticking clock.

cestro BRONZE said...
cestro BRONZE, Littlehampton, Other

Destroy what destroys you.

Thank you! 

Kati312 SILVER said...
on Aug. 1 2013 at 11:31 am
Kati312 SILVER, Parede, Other
This is beautifully written and expresses emotion and the care of a mother. I really like it!