Hoping Against Hope | Teen Ink

Hoping Against Hope

July 15, 2013
By platychick GOLD, Richardson, Texas
platychick GOLD, Richardson, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx


The boy sits on the bench, kicking his feet idly, alone as always. He watches as the man yells and spits, screaming his fury to all in earshot. The boy blocks him out, long ago having accepted he has no power.

The girl cowers as the man berates her. She struggles to control her tears, knowing they will not help. Losing the battle, she sobs. Once the man’s anger is spent, he walks away, leaving the girl alone.

The girl walks over hesitantly. He comforts the girl, hoping against hope he will see a way to remedy the situation. The girl’s sobbing subsides, and she in turn assures the boy she doesn’t want him involved. The girl reminds the boy of the bruises he earned trying to protect her.

The boy grimaces. He hates the reminder of his failing. The boy pleads with the girl, begging for the chance to save her.

The girl shakes her head, refusing once again. Even as she says no, she loathes the fear that rules her actions, is disgusted by the terror she feels, hates herself just that much more.

The boy sighs, knowing he has lost the argument once more. They sit for a while until both feel safe as can be.

The boy sits on the bed, worrying the phone, alone once more. He weighs the consequences of what he wants to do. He steels himself and dials the phone.

The girl answers a knock on the door. The woman speaks. The girl insists she has no idea what the woman is talking about. The woman kindly but firmly says she must speak with the man.

The boy opens the door to find a note on the step. The girl says her goodbyes. She says she no longer lives with the man. She asks the boy to leave her be, to never contact her, but thanks for trying. The boy carefully refolds the note and places in the pocket over his heart.

The girl looks around at the bustling world, feeling listless and heartsick. She regrets her actions, but there is no going back. The woman updates her on the man. The man continues to plead innocence, but the woman is confident he will be punished. The girl knows she should be happy, but she barely summons a smile.

The boy tries to carry on. He does his work, but everywhere are reminders of what was. He counts down the days til he can move to a new place. The boy decides to drive and let the wind take him where it will.

The girl does a double take. That boy looks like her boy, almost. He walks differently, as though he is weary of life. He looks beaten. Hope flutters in her chest, defying all odds.

The boy looks around, dazed. He feels a tug on his subconscious, and he searches for the cause. He sees a girl, almost-but-not-quite-like his girl. She looks older, she is somehow sharper, but she is more open at the same time. He hopes.

The girl watches the boy approach. He is guarded, she sees it, but she knows he is vulnerable. “I’m sorry,” he says.

“Don’t be. I’m sorry,” she answers.

“But I am. Can we start over?” he asks.

“No.” His face falls, and she adds, “We don’t need to.”

The young man sits on the bench, kicking his feet idly, never to be alone again. The young woman sits next to him, leaning on his shoulder, never to be alone again.


The author's comments:
I wrote this while at a summer program that comprised the three best weeks of my life.