Yellow | Teen Ink

Yellow

By DrewBiers BRONZE, Barcelona, Other
DrewBiers BRONZE, Barcelona, Other

“I don’t care if a reader hates one of my stories, just as long as he finishes the book.”
—Roald Dahl, WD

<i>Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
And they were all yellow</i>

“Lie on the grass with me!” The boy exclaims, his cerulean orbs lighting up at the thought.

He lay down on the damp field, waiting for his companion to lay with him.

A small noise that sounded like the rustling of grass was heard before he felt his acquaintance’s presence beside him. “What are we doing?” Her tiny voice asks, looking at the lad curiously and meeting his blue eyes.

“We’re stargazing, Harmony, What does it look like?” He replies, a lilt of humor in his voice.

“I mean, why, Skylar?” She giggles.

Skylar merely shrugged. “I like stargazing.”

Harmony nods as she sighs in contentment. “I like stargazing, too.”

They lay in silence for a while, breathing in the faint smell of dew on the grass.

“Look at that one.” Skylar points to the brightest star that night.
“It’s shining just for you, Harmony.”

<i>I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called, “Yellow”</i>

“I can’t do this,” Skylar breathes.

“Yes you can, Sky!” Harmony encourages. “Now get your bum on that stage and kill it!” She pushes him towards the stage and sends him a thumbs up, unable to stifle the grin from taking over.

“Hello,” he stutters into the microphone and settling on the wooden stool in front of it as he deposits his guitar on his lap. He shoots another nervous glance towards the backstage where Harmony was watching him. She merely gives him an encouraging nod as he turns back to the audience.

“This is for someone special,” he says with a bit more confidence. With one last huff to release his apprehension, the bloke began to strum, the perfect chord progression creating a melody that swooned the audience.

From the back of her mind, Harmony kept wondering who the song was for.

<i>This is for someone special.</i>

The mantra played itself in her head.

<i>This is for someone special.</i>

Surely she knew who this person was, right? Skylar would tell her if he liked anyone because that’s what best friends do – they told each other everything.

<i>This is for someone special.</i>

The moment she was going to declare that Skylar was in love with the hottest girl in school, he began to sing about stargazing with his best friend when they were nine and having the time of their lives growing up together.

And then she knew.

The song was for her.

<i>So then I took my turn
Oh, all the things I’ve done
And it was all yellow</i>

“So, how was I?” Skylar asks as he bounces off the stage. His confident stride had come back as if it never left and he gratefully accepts the bottle of water being handed to him, taking a small sip.

“Amazing as always, Sky,” Harmony laughs, moving to give him a small congratulatory hug.

“And now you know how I feel about you,” he states.

“Yeah, I do,” she agrees?

“And?” Skylar starts to ask, his confidence diminishing a little.

“And what?” Harmony teases, cocking an eyebrow up.

“Err, are you, I mean, do you, you know, feel the same way?” He stammers, looking at her bashfully through his dusty eyelashes.
Harmony giggles a little and Skylar’s hope dies a bit as he looks down shamefully.

“Of course I do, you bloody idiot,” she replies.
With that, Skylar’s gaze drifts from his dilapidated sneakers to her golden orbs and she merely nods, obviously knowing what was on his mind.

“Finally,” he whispers.

<i>I swam across
I jumped across for you
Oh, what a thing to do
Because you were all yellow</i>

“You have less than a week to live.”

The news had hit her harder than debris plummeting from the sky.

“What?” Harmony stammers, obviously in shock.

“The cancer is spreading like wildfire. The chemotherapy is making it worse. I’m sorry.” The doctor throws her a sympathetic look before stepping out of her room.

The tears were starting to gather up in her eyes when she heard the door open again. She kept her gaze locked on the ceiling, trying to keep herself from crying. She knew it was Skylar from the way his heavy footsteps sounded against the cold marble.

“How are you?” He asks as he takes a seat on the edge of her bed and clutches her frail hand.

Her stare never left its post as she answered, “I’ve got less than a week to live.” A lone tear finds its way down her cheek.

Skylar says nothing. Although by the look in his face, one could tell that he was struggling to hold in a novelesque speech.

“Then let’s make it count.”

<i>I drew a line
I drew a line for you
Oh, what a thing to do
And it was all yellow</i>

“Skylar?” Harmony gets a hum in response. “When I die, I want you to look under my mattress. I’ve got something there that I want you to have.”

“Anything for you, Harmony,” he says, kissing her forehead. “Anything.”

It was the next morning when Skylar woke up on the hospital bed with Harmony in his arms. The faint beeping sound made him sigh in relief and contentment. He smiled down at her and he pulled her closer, wanting to feel every inch of her.

<i>Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.</i>

“No!” He protests, jumping out of the bed and calling out for a nurse. “Harmony, wake up!”

He shakes her and yells at her to open her eyes until he gets dragged out by nurses. He begs them to let him inside but they were stern and watched him break down in front of her room.

Not even two minutes later, a doctor stepped out and looked at him sadly. “I’m sorry.”

Harmony was gone.

<i>Your skin, oh yeah, your skin and bones
Turn in to something beautiful
Do you know, you know I love you so
You know I love you so</i>

Just like he had promised, Skylar lifted the mattress up and saw a photo. He took it and placed that futon back to its original position.

It was a photo of a little boy and a little girl lying on the grass side by side. The little lad was pointing up at the sky and the girl was looking at where he was pointing. He flipped the photo over.

<b><i>Sky and I. Age 9.</i></b>

Skylar’s eyes caught the little inscription on the lower right hand corner and tears fell freely from his eyes.

<i>Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And all the things you do</i>

This song-fiction was inspired by Coldplay's song, "Yellow". I want you all to know that you're strong. There's always sunshine after the rain.