Blessed Darkness This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

There are so many things I wish I remembered more clearly. The first time I read Pride and Prejudice. My tenth birthday party when all my friends came and we laughed and danced. The first time I stood on a stage and sang just for the sake of the music. My first kiss.

I still have all these memories; they're not lost, but muted. Their bright colors and indescribable emotions have faded to pleasant echoes of their former selves. They make me smile when I visit them, but I can't live them anymore. I can't feel them.

Only one memory still has the power to drag me through time, kicking and screaming, into the past.

The more I try to forget, the stronger it becomes. The harder it pulls.

I can see every drop of rain as it hits the windshield, tiny missiles that had never threatened me before. I can feel the familiar tightness of the seat belt across my chest, the edge digging into my neck because I was a little too short. I can hear my dad singing “Yellow Submarine” off-key, my mom laughing. I can smell the faintly floral shampoo I had used that morning. Every detail is crystalline, frozen forever.

The shriek of brakes, the acrid scent of burning rubber, an explosion of fragmented glass. My mom's hair, my dad's hand, a bright burst of blood.

Sheer terror, blessed darkness.

Some people don't remember anything when they wake up. I'm not so lucky.

Alia_SThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is absolutely beautiful. You have a distinct charm to your writing voice, and I hope you never lose it. Anyone can memorize vocabulary, or be traditionally "good" at writing, but I look for writers like you - writers who just KNOW what words should be together and go where, even if they aren't conventional descriptions. I love this. Every bit of it made me smile.

Alia_SThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
And, I really don't know how to say this the way I want it to sound, but there is just something so charming and simple about every detail: the narrator's dad singing "yellow submarine" off-key, for example. It just feels perfect. By the way, I love that song. :)

LBE23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so wonderfully writen. I totally know what you're saying, it's funny how it's the things we don't want to remeber that we can still feel.

HotheadedLoner said...
Nice work! It really gave me some inpiration :)

Ssenogard said...
This is amazing. Every word needs to be there and that's what I love about it. There is no point that is out of place in this story because it all adds to the plot. It is perfectly woven into the reality of this world and knowledge of what happens around you. This story is perfect in my eyes.

Dr_Drama said...
Oh. My. Gosh. This is so amazing! I love the imagery at the beging, and you like tore my heart out with the plot twist at the end.

SecretEyes said...
May 2, 2014 at 9:03 am
I really like how you wrote this. It was very intersting. Onces I started I couldnt Stop. Thanks For Sharing

jlsnchz said...
Intresting story. I like how you said you wished you remebered the book. 

LiederMadchen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:21 am
Thanks. :)

bookmouse said...
Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:16 am
Is it the beginning of something longer?

Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:23 am
No, I wrote it for a flash fiction contest on Figment (it won 1st place) and don't plan to make it longer. However, if I get more ideas...who knows. :) Thanks for reading it!