Blessed Darkness This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

There are so many things I wish I remembered more clearly. The first time I read Pride and Prejudice, my tenth birthday party when all my friends came over and we laughed and danced, the first time I stood on a stage and sang just for the sake of the music. My first kiss.

I still have all of these memories, they're not lost, but they are muted now. Their bright colors and indescribable emotions have faded to pleasant echoes of their former selves. They make me smile when I visit them, but I can't live them anymore. I can't feel them.

Only one memory still has the power to drag me through time, kicking and screaming, into the past.

The more I try to forget, the stronger it becomes. The harder it pulls.

I can see every drop of rain as it hits the windshield, tiny missiles that never threatened me before. I can feel the familiar tightness of the seat belt across my chest, the edge digging into my neck because I'm a little too short. I can hear my dad singing Yellow Submarine off-key, my mom laughing. I can smell the faintly floral shampoo I used that morning. Every detail is crystalline, frozen forever.

The shriek of brakes, the acrid scent of burning rubber, an explosion of fragmented glass. My mom's hair, my dad's hand, a bright burst of blood.

Sheer terror, blessed darkness.

Some people don't remember anything when they wake up. I'm not so lucky.

jlsnchzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 2 at 7:50 pm:
Intresting story. I like how you said you wished you remebered the book. 

LiederMadchenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 1:21 am :
Thanks. :)

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 2 at 10:16 am:
Is it the beginning of something longer?

today at 1:23 am :
No, I wrote it for a flash fiction contest on Figment (it won 1st place) and don't plan to make it longer. However, if I get more ideas...who knows. :) Thanks for reading it!