God Gave Her a Silver Necklace Prologue | Teen Ink

God Gave Her a Silver Necklace Prologue

By synclaire24 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
synclaire24 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

God Gave Her a Silver Necklace

Book 1 (Tell All Nations)
Prologue
Somewhere In the Countryside, Culpatus

The sun reached the peak of the sky, indicating it was about midday. Green wide open fields extended out several acres until it blended with a forest of tall oaks, elms, pines, and many others. A clearing a few miles into the forest gave way to a two-story house made entirely of the wood provided by the nature around it. A whittled wooden fence surrounded the house with enough space to call it a front yard. A bed of bloodroots and irises lay beneath the old wooden porch. Crickets and other jumping bugs danced wherever grass existed. Sunlight poked through the leaves that engulfed blue sky, illuminating the porch, as two little boys dressed in matching brown collared shirts and jean jumpers leaped from the front door of the house. Excitement well written on their snotty faces as one chased the other. Their faces were identical as well, except one wore glasses that would sometimes slope off his face. He pushed them back onto the bridge of his nose and continued chasing his brother around the porch and onto the grass as they lightheartedly began to wrestle.

A small framed woman appeared at the arch of the doorway. Her long brown dress contrasted to her light skin. The loose skirt flowed alongside the gentle breeze. She clenched a wet washrag in her small fist. Stretching her neck she tried to get a glance of her sons playfully wrestling in the grass. She bit her lip worriedly assuming they’d ruined their freshly washed clothes.

“Boys! Stop playing around and get washed for dinner!” Her message struggled through her sweet and light voice to sound stern and intimidating like her husband. As she expected, they continued to play unbeknownst to her presence. She almost yelled out to them again, but then suddenly gave up. Her shoulders humped over in defeat when a voice from behind subtly alarmed her.

“They’re just children. Let them play. Besides, dinner isn’t even close to ready.” An aged and old raspy voice spoke. The woman looked the way she sounded. She stepped from behind the young woman in the archway and out onto the porch, smiling at her great grandchildren enjoying their youth. Her printed green dress swayed as she shuffled side to side, humming to herself. The young woman automatically knew that her grandmother was taking in the early spring day, the warmth of the sunlight, and the breeze. She smiled to herself as she unfolded her previously crossed arms.

“Fine Nene, I’ll leave them be.” She turned to enter back inside.

“Yana?” Her grandmother called. Yana glanced back, taking in her grandmother’s stance. Her wrinkled white hands folded into each other, resting on her stomach. Her eyes closed with wisps of white hair gently flowing, she rose her chin up as if to say something. Yana stilled and noticed how tense it had gotten. She stared at her grandmother who stood silently with her eyes still closed. Unsure of how to react and mildly concerned, Yana stepped closer with her arms cautiously stretched out.

“Nene, what’s wrong?” Yana whispered now directly in front of her.

Nene then slowly revealed her dark brown eyes that have seen so much. Once Yana saw Nene’s eyes open she relaxed her tense posture. She cocked her head to the side, waiting for Nene to tell her what happened.

“Oh, I’m fine. I’m fine” Nene repeated, “I just thought for a minute that…”

Nene looked into her granddaughter’s face, her young, beautiful, and ageless face.

“It’s nothing Yana. Just go and… just relax. Enjoy the day.” She reassured as she turned from her and found a seat on the porch steps. Yana squint her eyes even more than they already looked. Reluctantly accepting her grandmother’s strangeness she walked back inside her home.

In every inch of the house there was life. Commotion and energy wafted throughout the spacious rooms. The smell of Cayenne peppers, roasted duck, and various other sweet delicacies met Yana at the entrance of the room. The room consisted of three older men and a small collection of children piled around them, smudging themselves on the sofas and armchair. Yana’s older brother, Malone, sat on the sofa with his daughter snuggled on his lap. Altan, her oldest brother, was seated beside him. His son leaned against him, listening intently to his father’s words. A leather covered book rested in his hands. He thumbed to the next page, revealing to everyone in the room what was written. Seung, Yana’s brother-in-law, sat in the armchair, his two year old niece placed at his feet. Just learning to walk, she struggled to stand on her own so Seung tried to keep her balanced by holding her hands as he tried to incline his ear to Altan’s voice.

Yana squeezed the rag in her hand as she coasted through the den. The smell of dinner, Altan’s demanding voice, and then the sudden outburst coming from the dining area.

At the table in the dining room her older brother, Leon, graveled at the cards in his hands. Whimsically, he laughed as he scanned the table trying to intimidate his opponents. His five year old daughter, his two nephews, and his niece couldn’t help but smile as they tried to think of what card to place down. Suddenly Leon slammed his card down on the table with confidence.

“Do you have a 3?!” He snickered playfully, “Or will I have to ‘Go Fish?’” Yana’s niece raised her eyebrow in distrust and reached over to pick up her uncle’s card. A secret card from beneath slid out as she picked it up. Leon’s overly enthusiastic expression made the table of children burst into laughter.

“Uncle Leon! You’re cheating!” The little girl chuckled. Leon slapped his knee in unbelief.

“I have no idea how that got there!” He tried to retain his calm face.

Yana chuckled to herself as she moved along until she reached the base of the stairs leading to the second floor. The archway to the kitchen stood beside her. The aroma of dinner became more vivid the closer she got to the kitchen. The clamor of dishes, the sound of conversation, and gentle music emanated from the room beside her. A voice called out.

“Yana, is that you?” A head poked out in the doorway. It was a woman. Her long black hair was thrown up into a ponytail and her brown face glistened from the humidity and steam of the kitchen.

“Would you mind lending us a hand in here? We need someone to bake the pie.” She asked, smiling all the while.

“I’m going to check on the baby. I’ll come back down then.” Yana smiled to her sister.

“Thank you ever so much.” She whipped her head back into the kitchen.

On the second floor, there were three bedrooms on each side of the hallway. At the end was the only bathroom in the house. Yana’s bedroom was to her right and inside, a 5 month old brown baby girl lay awake on the bed. She smiled at the sight.

“There’s my baby.” She cooed. Scooping the baby in her arms, she kissed her on the head and pulled her closer to her body. The door suddenly opened and her sons rushed in, followed by an Indian man covered in filthy clothing.

“I found these two outside trying to climb up a tree.” He chuckled as he slipped off his boots. Yana laughed at their foolishness and then disappointment slightly showed on her face once she scanned her sons’ attire.

“You’ve dirtied yourselves.” She stated as she placed her daughter on the bed. They put their heads down in shame.

“It’s okay. I’ll clean them up. I have to take a shower anyway.” The Indian man reached over and kissed his wife.

“Yes you really do.” Yana smiled. “But thank you Taj. I have to help Eria and the girls downstairs for dinner anyway.”

“No problem.” He answered leaving the room with them following behind. He then poked his head back inside.

“Oh, and Yana?” She raised her head. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” She grinned and blew him a kiss.

Dinnertime rolled around and by then the entire house was filled with the scent of baked sweet potato pie, roasted duck, and an explosion of spices. The family settled around the dining room table, every child seated next to their parents.

“Where’s the baby?” Yana asked when Taj joined the table with their sons straggling along behind him; clean once again and with different colored shirts and pants. Taj always was incapable of making the boys look presentable and Yana knew it. Though now, she liked the way they looked, because they didn’t match but they looked comfortable. As if they belonged there; that their home was there to stay and they could walk around however because that was their home. In Yana’s mind, she thought it was ironic for it couldn’t be further from the truth.

“Oh, she fell back asleep, so I left her there.” Taj responded.

Yana shook her head in approval as he sat next to her. Nene was the last to join at the head of the table. Her steps seemed to be in slow motion. Still, everyone waited patiently with heads already bowed and ready to give thanks.

“Would anyone like to lead the prayer?” She asked still standing in her seat.

“I’d like to Nene.” Altan voiced. Nene began to nod then hesitated.

“Leon, would you please?” Eyes that were previously shut for prayer slowly opened to look at Leon’s expression.

“Nene, I’ve never led prayer before.” He tried to push off.

“You’ve prayed before. Just pray, son.” She closed her eyes and bowed signaling the end of the conversation.

Leon swallowed his words of refusal and began to speak,

“Dear Heavenly Father, we thank You for what You have done, what You’re doing and what You have yet to do,” a collection of voices began to blend in with Leon as they all began praying and thanking God, “I pray that You bless this food and bless the ones who prepared it Oh Lord. Thank You for this time together to be with our family, in good health and in Your precious Spirit. Jesus You’re just so good and let there be praises forever on our lips. In Jesus name, amen.” He concluded as everyone rebutted.

“Woo! Hallelujah! Let’s eat!” Leon joked as he began carving the duck. The table chuckled at his silliness though Yana only smiled at her brother. His wife, Cece, sat next to him, displaying a beautiful white smile. She was black like him with hair as black and puffy as smoke. Though far more dense than smoke. She was very beautiful and the beauty was poured out evenly between their two daughters who sat next to them.

“Well, we all worked hard on this dinner. Make sure you all eat some of that squash.” Eria chimed playfully. Everyone laughed as they jokingly dismissed the food.

“Come on, it’s good. Isn’t it, baby?” She plopped a spoonful on her son and daughter’s plates. They immediately turn their faces from it. The family laughed together as Nene smiled while shaking her head.

“I’ll have some,” Seung offered his plate.

“Aw…” Yana wooed.

“That’s real love.” Malone joked.

“That’s why I married him.” Eria chirped scooping him a whopping serving.

The family ate. They laughed. They bonded. They silently thanked God individually. Once they finished their dessert, they sat, laughing, taking in each other’s presence, because the parents, and mostly Nene, knew there was going to be a day where it would be their last time together. Though, they didn’t know it was coming so soon.

“My children…” Nene broke the conversation amongst them. Everyone stilled, the mood and atmosphere completely changed by Nene’s tone. Her eyes closed as she lifted her weak arms to the ceilings. Tears streamed down her face as she murmured, “Praise God, Holy One. Thank You my Lord Jesus.”

“It’s time.” She uttered and rose from her seat. Altan was the first to rise after her. Nene left, walking up to her room on the second floor.

Everyone stayed in their seats thinking the same thing, frozen with fear of meeting the challenge that awaited them. Altan grabbed his wife Lin by the hand and she rose from her seat.

Simultaneously, the parents stood going to their confused children. Yana dreaded walking up the steps followed by her husband, carrying one son as he carried the other. She buried her face in his son’s little neck, kissing him, trying to hold onto him tightly without hurting him. They reach their bedroom and Yana placed her son down. She went to the baby laying sleep on the bed and tears began to rush from her eyes.

Taj sat next to her, his eyes glossy from the tears that were beginning to form. Their sons stood before them starting to cry at the sight of their parent’s sad demeanor.

“Listen, my sons. We… we have to go away for a while. And you’ll have to go with Nene.” Taj broke. Their sons both initiated their tears as they cried out instantaneously, “why?”

“You love God right?” Taj questions. They shake their heads vigorously up and down though still whimpering with tears.

“With all your hearts?” They shake their heads.

“And His Spirit lives in you guys? You both have power through Jesus name?”

“Yes daddy.” They answered identically, their voice shaky.

“Then don’t ever be afraid. Never, and you know why. I know it’s hard to understand, but always be connected to Him, no matter what.” Taj managed to smile through his façade. Yana knew that he meant every single word he said. And she knew that it was true, but she also knew that it tore them both up inside, knowing that they would most likely never see their children again.

“Just know,” Yana contributed through sniffles, “that we love you more, way more than you would ever know. Be the men. Remember what we taught you guys.”

“You see this little girl right here?” Taj smiled eyes watery. “Protect her. Love her. Help Nene raise her. We love you all.” He kissed them on the top of their heads, fighting back every tear until the restraint broke. “We love you so much.” He got up and left the room, covering his mouth in disbelief of his emotions.

Yana stayed on her bed, slightly angered that Taj left her on her own to say the goodbyes.

“Before I forget,” She held the baby in one arm as she used to other hand to reach to the back of her neck. A thin silver chain with a heart shaped pendant hanging from the middle hid underneath her collar. She unhooked the necklace and slipped it from her neck.

“I’m sure I can trust you boys.” The crying had stopped but their puffy eyes still held water. They agreed together.

“This is a very special necklace. Can you see that she gets this when she’s old enough to wear it?” She placed it in her son’s hand that wore the glasses.

“Good.” She kissed the both of them on their foreheads and rose from the side of the bed.

Downstairs, emotions were running feral. Yana wasn’t surprised to see her nieces and nephews crying uncontrollably and their parents just the same. Saying goodbye to their confused children wasn’t easy. They’ve been all dreading this moment, but they knew it had to be done.

Yana sat down at the bottom of the steps with her daughter in her lap and her sons standing before her. She glanced through the railings to see Taj in the living room pacing back and forth trying to control his tears.

“No! I don’t understand mama! Why won’t I ever see you again!” Yana’s niece cried to Eria. They stood in the corner of the dining room. Seung held his son in his arms, while his daughter cried to his wife.

“Please, please just listen. This is very hard for me to do, for all of us to do.” Eria lowered her voice. Her daughter suddenly wrapped her arms around her waist and buried her face in her stomach.

Yana found herself tearing up and her throat beginning to ache witnessing her sister and brothers trying to emotionally depart from their children. She shifted her head back to her sons who were clearly distraught and confused. She wished she could tell them the reason why they have to separate, but there’s no way they would completely understand. She held her daughter closer and hugged her sons tighter, taking in their scent, their feel, and their presence.

Nene appeared at the top of the steps with a bag strapped to her back and Yana cleared the way. She joined the rest of her family in the dining room, every child with their parents like little clusters. Taj came back, wiping his face from the wetness. Yana hugged him and kissed him on the cheek and saw his puffy red eyes from crying.

“It’s been such a great pleasure being with you all,” Nene began, stating her farewell speech, “and if I had the say, I wouldn’t choose this outlet. I wouldn’t let it be this way. But you all know that we are all but servants, serving the One with all authority. So my children, though we hurt a great deal now, be assured that this is all for a greater purpose. It will not be in vain. I love you all so much,” Nene strained through her tears, “and Lord permitting, will we meet again.”

She walked up to Malone and his wife Nova and gave them goodbye kisses and hugs. Then she took their daughter by the hand and led her to the kitchen archway.

Next, she went Altan and his wife Lin and said her farewell, took their sons by the hand and took them to the archway. All the while Yana’s leg shook impatiently, thoughts consuming her mind of different outcomes to pursue instead of what was already in store.

Nene approached Leon and his wife Cece and then took their daughters to the archway to wait with the others.

“I love you Nene,” Leon voiced as she kissed his black cheek.

“I love you too.” She responded with her white whittled hand upon his face.

Then Nene moved to Seung and Eria. After she said her goodbyes, she took their son and daughter to the archway to wait for her.

Nene then hugged Taj but stopped at Yana. Her squinted Chinese eyes studied her and then her light brown baby cradled in her arms.

“My precious Yana…I’ve known you since the day you were born.” Nene spoke as tears streamed down Yana’s face.

“I know you. And I also know that you won’t hand them over easily.” Nene prophesied, holding her arms out for the baby.

“I can’t.” Yana’s face became hardened and she spoke through her teeth.

“Yana, you understand that this isn’t my will, but it’s God’s. We’re going by faith, not ignorant theologies.”

“But Nene, I can’t! I can’t let go of my babies!” Yana raised her voice. Eria pressed her hand on Yana’s arm.

“Yana, we all had to do it. What makes you think you don’t have to do the same?” She spoke hiding her jealousy and anger behind her calm tone.

“I can’t…I can’t I just can’t!” Yana finally broke crying. Taj couldn’t hold back his tears either as he tried to talk Yana out of her selfishness.

“Yana, please! Please, you’re making this harder than it already was!” He yelled.

“I’m sorry! You all may be fine just handing off your children, unbeknownst to what may happen to them, but I cannot!”

“Yana, my child,” Nene responded, “if I may remind you, we are pressed for time! Please, let me receive them!”

“No!” Yana held her daughter closer and hid her sons behind her. Fed up with the delay, Taj swiftly yet gently took his sons by the hand and brought them over to the archway with the others.

“No!” Yana screamed. Nene reached over and carefully pried the baby out of her hands as Eria and Cece held her back. Once Nene gained the baby in her arms, Yana attempted to lunge forward while screaming and crying out.

Everyone’s heart sunk, witnessing Yana’s desperate behavior, also secretly wishing to do the same.

“No! Please! Don’t take them! I’ll never see them again! No!” Yana howled, then collapsed in Taj’s embrace as Nene and the other children escaped through the back door.

Past the back door and the wavering green acres of land, a secret bunker had been built in the midst of the forest a year earlier. The Lord had spoken to Nene in prayer telling them to build it for this event. The children followed great Nene as she buried the baby deeper in her chest. She led them to the bunker that had been built into the ground. Inside the small space, they crammed, no longer crying out for their mothers and fathers. They hid silently and together. Though even miles and miles away from where they came, they could still faintly hear gunshots, helicopters, and screams.

This is the prologue to my three part book titled "God Gave Her a Silver Necklace". This story takes place in the near future and God uses a family to spread the gospel about Jesus in a country that has never heard of Him.