The Zombies are Coming! | Teen Ink

The Zombies are Coming!

By Carlos81298 BRONZE, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Carlos81298 BRONZE, New Brunswick, New Jersey

Day had gone by since the malicious infection and spreading started. It had been created by accident in a lab when scientists were testing substances and a mutation occurred. It took absolutely everyone by surprise. The authorities couldn’t do much because many millions of people had already been infected with the new deadly disease. The military, although having heavy weapons and equipment, were overrun by the zombies. It was useless, there was no way someone would stop this unless they find the much needed cure to the horrific event. Before they knew it, the disease became worldwide and absolutely no one was safe anymore.

Learning of the news, Jack and his family tried to evacuate the area before any of them could get infected or bitten by a zombie. He was a police officer who worked in the city night shifts. He patrolled through the city just to make sure there were no fights and everything was fine and normal, like they usually were. His wife, Kate, a nurse and his two kids John and Tyler in middle school, he looked and tried to find and get supplies or anything they would need to be protected from the zombies.

He called many of his relatives to check if they were fine and ask what they planned to do now that the zombie outbreak had started. They weren’t sure what to do and what were the possibilities in this situation. They all said it was so surprising it seemed like a nightmare or something that wouldn’t normally happen in real life but they had to face the truth. The zombies were totally real and no one way safe.

The decided to join and travel together so that there was a chance for them to survive and they didn’t want to separate the family members and relatives. They knew they had to find supplies and equipment. They split up into three groups and searched for things that would be of good use to them in this event. One of the groups went to the sports shop where they had to find bats, clubs, anything they could find that they could use as a weapon to defend themselves against the undead.
The second group went to the grocery store and supermarket to buy water, food, and other things to eat so that they wouldn’t have to expose themselves often to find food. They knew that having enough food was important for their survival in this new world.
They realized that they needed to figure out where they were going to stay temporarily and where they would go in case of and emergency like if the zombies got in the house. They also realized that they had to barricade the place, windows and all the doors and entrances that would allow a zombie to enter the house. The third group went and bought sandbags, wooden planks, and anything that would help them keep the bloody zombies out of their place. They could not afford to have a zombie in the place and bit one of their family members. After thinking about it they decided that the best place to stay for the moment was their home because they believed it brought courage and comfort to them when they needed it most.
Their main priority was to survive as long as they could and protect as many people as they could in the family. After a long discussion about who the leader of the group should be, they chose Jack as the leader. He had to make the tough decisions and decisions that could benefit the group. They knew they needed strong leadership and that was one of the reasons they chose the leader as Jack.
After they had gathered everything they needed all of the helped set up the sand bags on the front door and backdoor. They put the wooden planks and nailed them to the window. They also put some curtains near the windows so that the zombies would have no chance to see them. All the food they had collected was put in the kitchen cabinet and storage. The weapons they had collected were put nearby in a closet with a lock to make sure none of the little children would grab then and harm each other. Everything seemed to be set.
Days past and the family hadn’t encountered any big zombie threats.
‘‘Everything is so different know. I wish everything got back to normal and this never happened’’ said John, one of Jack’s sons.
“I don’t care if I lose everything in my property as long as I have you, my family” said Jack.
The family didn’t come out of the house that often because they didn’t want to risk it or attract any zombies to the house or to them. One day, Mike helped Jack get some cars that were on the other sidewalk of the street. They were planning to take the gasoline from the cars so that they could use it later on, maybe in an emergency. On the process, Mike tripped and was cut with some glass that was on the floor next to a car. He had a big, one centimeter cut in his arm. He screamed as the pain was unbearable. “What the f***! This attracted a zombie that went unnoticed by Mike and Jack. Jack had his shotgun but did not shoot because the loud shot would bring even more zombies to the area and they would be in danger and also their family in the house. So Jack took out his machete and slashed the zombie in the head. Jack picked him up from the ground and they both hurried to the house before any other zombies could see them.
Once at the house, they saw the size of the cut that Mike had on his arm. They were alarmed. They were speechless. The size of the cut was astounding. Kate, being a nurse, knew that if he didn’t cover it or put medicine on it he could risk having an infection and possibly dying from it. She disinfected it and wrapped his arm around in a cloth but he still needed medicine from the hospital. It was either go to the hospital and get the medicine Mike needed or risk a nasty infection in his arm. Jack knew what he had to go to the hospital with some of the other adults and get the medicine for Mike. It was something he had to do and he had to do it quickly and not be spotted. It was a difficult thing but not impossible.
The hospital wasn’t that far away from where they lived so they could walk to the hospital. If they used a car, the engine would make too much noise and could attract the zombies in the area they were in. A couple of the family members volunteered to accompany Jack and go to the hospital to get the much needed medicine. They were going to walk to the hospital and come back to the house as soon as they got the medicine. It was time for them to depart. They said bye for now to the family and embarked in the quest to the hospital. There was no turning back now.

TO BE CONTINUED……