Hope Never Dies

This is Julianne, Heather, and Hope. When they used to be best friends. But that was long ago. That was in the sunny fields of Saint Clare’s Orchard. When they were 17. Young, wild, restless and beautiful. This is when Julianne made them go to Macy’s and watch while she’d try on every outfit, and they hated it, but they loved her anyway, because after, she’d buy them bubble burst flavored ice cream with her allowance. When Heather was my girlfriend and we’d go down to the lake and the lights were so beautiful on the water, that I just wanted to kiss her. But I never did. This is when Hope never said anything but gave the most useful advice you’d ever know. But this isn’t a picture of now. This is a picture of then. Because now they’re dead. All of them. That car crash of 1995 was the worst day in my life. I’m not kidding. Because I don’t kid. Not anymore. Julianne died and then, even though Heather and Hope weren’t in the car, they died, too. Heather broke up with me and moved to Indiana with her mom. And Hope has never stopped crying. And so I’m all that’s left of their friendship. The boyfriend who never was. That’s what Heather called me when she broke up with me over the phone. I never was. But now I am. I am the only one left. Left to tell their story.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

FiddleBunny said...
It's great!  It's really sad and thoughtful. I like how the title fits the piece and the "I never was. But now I am." part. It shows the narrator has changed from the experience.